Absolute Zero - Mine/Craft

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
There are imported and escaped rabbits in a few places in the south like around Helsinki. But not generally no, it is not a native. We had a kind of rabbit problem but a virus decimated the population 2 years ago and it has not gone up yet.

The bigger birds of prey and foxes and stray cats are having a feast with them. I don't think they would be able to spread around much more, the winter is also the big limiting factor.

Last edited:

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I meant last hijack from me lol

I have squirrel and mole trap lines out atm but I could easily add rabbit fox or anything else that's legal to trap.

Are the Mole trap version still the weird wide headed scissor kina thing you stick in the Loose soil?

Didn't know if you used Connibears or similar.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Are the Mole trap version still the weird wide headed scissor kina thing you stick in the Loose soil?

Didn't know if you used Connibears or similar.

Yeah I prefer the large scissor type traps for moles.
Connibears tend to be larger than a mole trap needs to be, they only need to open as wide as a mole run.
Otherwise fen traps or live catch cage traps are my go to.

Reactions: TeeDee

Poacherman

Banned
Sep 25, 2023
Wigan
In hunting a throwing stick or boomerang would probably be the most effective solution, next atlatl and fishing darts, though the eskimo spear head can easily be used by hand throwing, sling is easy to make but it does take a lot of practise to be useful. Birding bolas are easy to use and as all these it does not require much work.

Yep surroundings pretty much define the order of things but I guess in many cases shelter is first, after that again fire might be second then it gets a bit hazy.
Have u real life experience off this ? boomerang is not a great solution with zero experience you need real life previous experiences off bolas Atlatles ect and need to have killed a lot off animals and fish to understand the nuances off animal behaviour esp by primitive means.

Poacherman

Banned
Sep 25, 2023
Wigan
Yeah I prefer the large scissor type traps for moles.
Connibears tend to be larger than a mole trap needs to be, they only need to open as wide as a mole run.
Otherwise fen traps or live catch cage traps are my go to.
Do u use French putanges traps for moles? I like them I still have 5 in a box hidden somewere.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
There are poaching tricks in the UK that u can use to catch rabbits ect barehanded I can describe the process it's v simple.

Be better to see you demonstrating it on video if possible.

Obviously not doubting your abilities - just be good to see...

Reactions: Poacherman

Poacherman

Banned
Sep 25, 2023
Wigan
Be better to see you demonstrating it on video if possible.

Obviously not doubting your abilities - just be good to see...
First things first find a decent occupied rabbit set with plenty off holes adjacent to a nice field . Stuff half off the holes at arms length deep with large bundles off grass come back at first light with the wind blowing in your face. And run the rabbits feeding on the field back into the set some iff your lucky will be blocked at arms length I would video it but iv not exactly got permission to do this right now I did it a lot as a child.

Poacherman

Banned
Sep 25, 2023
Wigan
First things first find a decent occupied rabbit set with plenty off holes adjacent to a nice field . Stuff half off the holes at arms length deep with large bundles off grass come back at first light with the wind blowing in your face. And run the rabbits feeding on the field back into the set some iff your lucky will be blocked at arms length I would video it but iv not exactly got permission to do this right now I did it a lot as a child.
U can also backnet them at there entrances using purse nets same principles apply.

Reactions: TLM

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE