Abraham Darby cooking pot?

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I' ve been able to find similar stuff but does anyone know where you can get exact copies of the original Abraham Darby cast iron cooking pots like appeared on the making tea episode of The boat that Guy built?

Ive sent a message to Blists Hill who I believe still cast them for demonstration purposes but havent heard back from them yet.

ATB

Tom

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Tom let me know how you get on with this as I know the blacksmith there so I could mention it to him. They still do casting down there but not sure about the pot your after . Dave

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
British Red, aye I was admiring that pot on your thread and it would be great if one turns up, a real bit of history there.

Tommy the cat, I've had no joy sofar poking about the net, there's some similar pot s being made in the Black Country made for the Wicca / pagan market and for a very reasonable price but they ain't quite right, most have legs for a start. If I find owt spot on I'll post here but in the mean time if you could mention it to your mate that would be great. The sort Id like to get is about 2 quart capacity, maybe 3.

Ive a 2 quart tin lined brass job made for the US reenactors market which is very tough with regards to carrying it about but the tin lining is a bit fragile and I'd like something I could use metal utensils and be able to clean without worrying in and that is made in the UK in the traditional manner.

Thanks!

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
British Red, aye I was admiring that pot on your thread and it would be great if one turns up, a real bit of history there.

Tommy the cat, I've had no joy sofar poking about the net, there's some similar pot s being made in the Black Country made for the Wicca / pagan market and for a very reasonable price but they ain't quite right, most have legs for a start. If I find owt spot on I'll post here but in the mean time if you could mention it to your mate that would be great. The sort Id like to get is about 2 quart capacity, maybe 3.

Ive a 2 quart tin lined brass job made for the US reenactors market which is very tough with regards to carrying it about but the tin lining is a bit fragile and I'd like something I could use metal utensils and be able to clean without worrying in and that is made in the UK in the traditional manner.

Thanks!

ATB

Tom

A lot or Darby's did have (small) legs - mine has. To be "true" to the original, it needs to be sectionally cast - but...really, in use, who cares. South African Potjes are very close with a larger leg (which would be easy grind down)

When you get your eye in you will see a lot of Darbys turned into planters. I once saw one nearly 2' diameter. I was so tempted to knock on the door and offer £50 :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE