aaargh! I've got little nuts......

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
With the advent of a 'bumper Harvest' I checked out the Hazel nuts today as the squirrels have already nicked half of them :yikes:.Most of the nuts,although appearing to be a decent size,have very little kernals inside them.Whats going on? :shock: :?:

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
jakunen said:
Yep, its the weather and water.
I have ONE pear on my tree, which normally crops well, and its only about 1 1/2" long and and inch around...
And my sloe, which also has deformed fruit, it covered in fruit the size of a grape pip...
Strange that the blackberries are so early and so sweet this year a the same time though. My garden fruit trees seem to be on for a good crop this year as well as do the sloes on little sis's farm.
Cheers
David

den

Nomad
Jun 13, 2004
Bristol
The Hazel nuts do look a little small for the time of year, but I have noticed they do differ from tree to tree.
The little kernels are lovely in salt and vinegar.
Den :p

The weather has been a bit weird this year. I was seeing sloes ripening in June! Lots of other fruit seems to have been held back by the dry spells and a lot of chilly weather in May (it was May wasn't it?).

My secret countryside location apple and damson trees should be about ready for my first visits of the season, I just hope the weather has been kind to them.

Hazel nuts always seem to be so much effort for so little reward. Perhaps I'm just lazy :)

Roger

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE