A year in the Swiss alps without a tent.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
The weather out there is pretty good at the moment though it still might rain so I`m going to start off with no shelter and put up a basher when neccessary. Later on I suspect I shall build a four sided lean-too with a hole in the top for the smoke to get out. There will be lots and lots of snow which will make good insultion material. For now I`m using the same sleeping bag as always, I`m not sure of the make but I got it from Ray Mear`s site, It`s OK down to about zero degrees without a tent or bivvy so I`m going to have to get something else for winter. Will probably use reindeer skin as a crash mat

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
Intereresting. How high up? I have alpine experience in Austria and now that being out there for several days in a good winter at -25 degrees won't be easy. Difficult - but doable. Even if you don't succeed - hats off for trying it. Hope you will have the energy to document it as well as the 'bush' year.

I`ll be at around 1800 meters, have found a flat spot of ground on the south west facing side of a mountain the only problem is that there is water, there is only a small trickle of a mountain stream and I had hoped for somehing big enough to wash in. Still it`s better than no water which is what I had last time. Besides I have only had one afternoon to find a good spot so there might be something better out there.

Wayne, hope you make it. I can offer ski in accomodation. Wouldn`t recomend ski out unless you are good at flying, it appears to get a little bit verticle.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Sounds like an interesting adventure Ditch Monkey, I'll look forward to seeing how you get on.

Would you be able to dam up the stream and create a bigger pool for washing in ?

Possibly, was thinking of digging a little pool so I can at least stick my head in or fill a bottle rather than waiting for ages. I`m working as a chef so I will have to be properly washed and scrubbed up before work so I will be keeping a chalet to wash in before work and to use as a retreat in case of illness, injury or visits by Mrs Ditch Monkey.

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
What kit did you have?

It varies. Last time in Winter, I did a two nighter tour with a snow trench and snow cave. Kit in that time of year more depends on a good shovel and snowshoes than the advertised stuff, like axes and knives. When snow and cold permits, I like to do a Quinzee - but it is realy hard work alone and takes up a lot of energy.

Off course - A large pot and a small, dependable gasolin burner (Good old Optimus 8R - that burns better on 1400+ metres than my MSR dragonfly for some reason). I usually put in the standard stuff like a decent axe, folding saw and a basha - since camping on tree height terrain gives more opportunity for shelter building. I use a 3 season sleeping sack with a silk inner lining. and the army bivvy sack to keep it a bit dry. Additional warmth from woolen cloathing, socks and sleeping with the trousers on. Some nights are more comfortable than others :) Cloathing - I just swear by my woolen hooded Swanndri and lots of small layers. Nothing fancy there, just good stuff.

Most of my multiday trips in the Alps are done in the Fall. Good weather, nice temperature, lots of game activity and fantastic colors. Then, I pack the hammock, basha and the basic cutting tools, combined with a large pot for cooking. I did do a lean-to twice, but after a days walk I usually get lazy and string the hammock with a diagonal basha.

I never met an older Austrian that did not like my approach, but the occasional stare at a "green man" from those younger neon-clad climers must be taken into account :) Bushcrafting and climbing is really two different worlds. "Why would you want to stay in the mountains at night?" - priceless.

So, how will you cope with keeping warm at that height in/around Winter time? 1800 meters is - depending on local conditions- above tree level. Are you bringing in a woodstove?

-Emile

It varies. Last time in Winter, I did a two nighter tour with a snow trench and snow cave. Kit in that time of year more depends on a good shovel and snowshoes than the advertised stuff, like axes and knives. When snow and cold permits, I like to do a Quinzee - but it is realy hard work alone and takes up a lot of energy.

Off course - A large pot and a small, dependable gasolin burner (Good old Optimus 8R - that burns better on 1400+ metres than my MSR dragonfly for some reason). I usually put in the standard stuff like a decent axe, folding saw and a basha - since camping on tree height terrain gives more opportunity for shelter building. I use a 3 season sleeping sack with a silk inner lining. and the army bivvy sack to keep it a bit dry. Additional warmth from woolen cloathing, socks and sleeping with the trousers on. Some nights are more comfortable than others :) Cloathing - I just swear by my woolen hooded Swanndri and lots of small layers. Nothing fancy there, just good stuff.

Most of my multiday trips in the Alps are done in the Fall. Good weather, nice temperature, lots of game activity and fantastic colors. Then, I pack the hammock, basha and the basic cutting tools, combined with a large pot for cooking. I did do a lean-to twice, but after a days walk I usually get lazy and string the hammock with a diagonal basha.

I never met an older Austrian that did not like my approach, but the occasional stare at a "green man" from those younger neon-clad climers must be taken into account :) Bushcrafting and climbing is really two different worlds. "Why would you want to stay in the mountains at night?" - priceless.

So, how will you cope with keeping warm at that height in/around Winter time? 1800 meters is - depending on local conditions- above tree level. Are you bringing in a woodstove?

-Emile

Thank you for the tips

I`m still in tree cover so will either be making an open fire or getting a wood burning stove. Most likely will opt for the stove to conserve fuel and reduce the risk of burning the shelter down.

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
LOve the Alps 'done' two ski seasons myself! Regret not doing more bushie things when there really....to darn knacked from the riding and work!
Good luck keep us posted.
Dave
I lived at 1600m and got to say it gets feaking cold in January I think tooo cold for my old bones mind spring is a great time in the Alps and worth the cold of Jan

LOve the Alps 'done' two ski seasons myself! Regret not doing more bushie things when there really....to darn knacked from the riding and work!
Good luck keep us posted.
Dave
I lived at 1600m and got to say it gets feaking cold in January I think tooo cold for my old bones mind spring is a great time in the Alps and worth the cold of Jan

I have done three seasons now so kind of know what to expect, cold, very very cold and it really sucks when you get wet, like you say spring will be fantastic

If you've done seasons you'll know how easy it is to get wet at 1800m. Very often the rain/snow level is well above 2000m so keeping dry might prove important.

I've been soaked to the bone a fair few times when living in Chamonix but always had somewhere warm and dry to go back to and plenty of dry clothes to change into.

Staying dry, both from snow-melt on clothes when it's snowing and rainfall would likely be priorities for me.

Despite the well signed prohibition of camping "en haute montagne" (I have no idea if that prohibition extends to Swiss areas, certainly the French mountains around Chamonix had that rule), I've thought a few times that I'd like to sleep out in the Alps during winter. I can imagine that with a good way to keep warm and dry it would be a fantastic experience - though that said. I'd like to oficially state that I think "you're mad" and I hope you have a great and safe time while you're out there.

Any idea what area you'll be heading for?

Actually, I've got to add this...

...do you really know how cold it can get?
I know most people who've been to the alps know that it can get pretty bitter, but I do wonder how many people have really had time to appreciate how utterly freezing it can get.
When I lived in Chamonix back in 2001(ish) I had a job flyering for the Worst Club In The World - Ever which basically meant standing outside an absolute dive, trying to get people to come in. I worked from about 9 or 10pm until anything between 2 and 4am.
One night it hit about -24°C with about 2 or 3 hours of standing around outside left to go. The streets were empty, the few crazy enough to be out drinking had all gone to a nice warm bar and stayed there.

I was so cold it hurt. I couldn't stop shaking, the usual banter with the odd passer by turned to sympathy and "I don't envy you" type comments.

By the end of the shift I couldn't feel anything below about mid-shin, could barely hold my keys to get into the flat and my face was so completely numb I had difficulty talking.

I was wearing every item of cold weather gear I had, having built up the layers as the cold deepened and I still felt violently cold.
Oh - and I was working at about 1000m, the extra 800m you'd be living at would mean significantly colder temperatures.

I still think it could be a fantastic experience, I just wonder if you might be underestimating how cold it can get.

IJ55

Forager
Mar 29, 2009
UK
Your having a laugh mate.

You have absolutely no idea do you? winter? outside at 2000 meters? well, I'll not wait for the update because some times peoples lack of knowledge stuns the living out of me.

I hope you are either A) A former Royal Marine with at least 3 'winters' under your belt above the arctic circle, B) A former SF Trooper with mountain warfare experience or C) you have done and enjoyed at least half a dozen courses for winter skills and survival and do alot of winter climbing including staying belayed over night.

Because if your none of the above, your a fool in my honest opinion.

mjk123

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 24, 2006
Switzerland
Ummm. I don't want to sound like a nay-sayer, but there could be some problems with your plan. I hope that you're basically going to have some backup accomodation then sleep out as often as practical.

This winter was colder than usual, and much longer than usual. At 500m we had snow on the floor from November to March. Temperatures at -12. I know what you're thinking "-12 is only 10 less than -2, which is only 10 less than 8, so I'll put on some extra clothes". All I mean is that decreasing temperature doesn't lead to a linear increase in difficulty. At -8 I was just cold on exposed parts. At -12 you can really feel the cold air _inside_ your lungs. But, of course, you can get somewhat acclimatised to these things.

From the legal aspect, if someone notices you permanently in one place you'll be moved on. Without a permanent address your work permit is void, because you have to register with the civic centre on arrival, with an address. Stealth camping is difficult too, because 90% of the woodland in CH is within 100m of a logging/dog walking track.

Personally, I'd try to find a hut or cabin and negotiate with the owner for a cheap lease over winter.

Hi Guys, thanks for the various feedback.

So far I have only given the briefest outline of the plan, this has mostly been because I have just been far too busy to outline everything in detail.

First off I would like to mention that failure is an option and I`m not too full of myself to hold my hands up and admit the challenge is too much for me if that is what it turns out to be. However, I have no intention of doing so and believe that with proper preparation and mental attitude anything is possible.

I will be writing up the rules I will be operating under and how I will be attempting to approach this project fully in my blog but seeing as this has sparked a bit of a debate here I feel I owe you guys an explanation. Having said that I`ve had four hours sleep I`ve been traveling and working all day so I`m quite tired so I will be brief and will no doubt miss some stuff out. But here goes.

I am now living and working in Verbier Switzerland. Currently I have an apartment in Verbier itself, I am in negotiations to obtain a ski in ski out chalet for the winter, very close to my proposed camping site.

Whatever chalet / studio / appartment I end up renting for the winter will be used as an office, a place to shower before work, a retreat in case of illness, injury or deciding I`m too weak to carry on. I will also be staying there two nights a week when my girlfriend visits as I do not want to loose the girl I love.

There are areas where camping is forbiden and areas where it is not, I will be camping where it is not forbidden.

I have been in the mountains for the past three winters and have a cautious respect for the environment I will be living in.

I will be within a short walk of habitation.

People will know where I am living.

I carry three mobile phones on differant networks with fully charged batteries to maximise the chances of getting connection in an emergency.

I will also have a walky talky.

If it is possible to live outside for one night, it is possible to do so the next night - repeat ad nauseum.

I am going to be spending a few days with an arctic explorer next week.

As for lack of training, this is training for something much bigger.

I also really appreciate the feedback.

Cheers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE