A. Wright & Son bushcraft knife new grind model

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lifthasir

Forager
Jan 30, 2006
East Yorks
Is it me or are recent pictures of the A. Wright & Son bushcraft knife showing the knife with a new (shallower) grind?

I'm a big fan of their folders - for everyday working knives I don't think they can be bettered for the money.

If the grind is new, it appears they have responded to feedback - but I wonder whether or not this is a case of the tail wagging the dog or a genuine acceptance of taking comments on board and changing things for the better.

Lifthasir

Forager
Jan 30, 2006
East Yorks
I've seen mixed feedback on the 'old' knife with some rave reviews and some poor ones. With such a chunky knife, I think I would prefer a steeper grind as it would be a stand in for a small axe for certain 'heavy' work, but not having had the pleasure of trying one, I really couldn't say one way or the other. No doubt a shallower grind would sharpen to a keener edge but I wonder whether this would limit the 'work horse' capabilities of the knife. I suppose a micro secondary bevel could make it better. I'm not a purist when it comes to such things - if the..er..grind fits...use it :)

Rockmonkey

Settler
Jan 12, 2012
uk
I love my A Wright knife which i bought after Christmas, Sheath was a bit *rap, but being left handed which they could not supply, i got one made by Kepis, which by the way is a brass dangler and it is the dogs nuts!.
The angle of the grind is a shame, but like Kepis, i will get mine done when i can bare to be without it!
It looks like they have taken on board the issue, and i now hope when people order this knife from various places, that they don't get fobbed off with old stock with the *rap grind!
Fingers crossed to anyone ordereing one!!!
Let us know!
RM

Lifthasir

Forager
Jan 30, 2006
East Yorks
To be honest, I'd prefer to get one with the original grind and then change it if it really doesn't work out. With many people being happy with the knife, perhaps it was a problem with the heat treatment right at the edge of the blade which was resolved when stock was removed during re-grinds.

Some people seem to have it in for Sheffield knives - they bemoan imperfections in Sheffield knives but don't offer the same venom when it comes to shrinking handle scales on Ray Mears' 'rolls royce' knives (with rolls royce prices).

A knife is just steel and if you make the edge into a thin wedge shape, it becomes sharp enough to cut things. Thick or thin depends on choice and use - axe or knife - carving or whittling etc.

For collectors (nothing wrong with collectors), does it matter how hard the edge is, how sharp and how good is edge retention if it will never be used - except to shave hairs or slice paper?

Personally, I think HRC is on the whole a marketing gimmick but I wonder what else could be used instead? I mean, is a decent edge that lasts for 2 months better or worse than a wicked edge that last for 2 hours?

wolf_diver

Forager
Jan 21, 2007
Weymouth Dorset
I Love my Wright and sons, just gave it a spring service and cant give enough praise for its sharpness and good use in the field. Cutting and carving wood to gralloching deer. Ye old faithful.

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
iv not had a problem with the edge on my A Wright, I love it to death.
can some explain what is the differece between a hollow grind and the grind it has?

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
iv not had a problem with the edge on my A Wright, I love it to death.
can some explain what is the differece between a hollow grind and the grind it has?

A hollow ground blade is ground using wheels of different sizes to form the edge and is therefore actually dish shaped and usually comes with a secondary 'V' grind bevel whereas the A.Wright bushcraft knife is advertised as having a scandi ground blade which is V shaped from the flats of the blade down to the very fine edge,a true scandi grind blade has a zero grind with no micro bevel.

Lifthasir

Forager
Jan 30, 2006
East Yorks
Whilst you are there, could you ask why their website homepage shows more knives than are for sale in their online shop? I suspect they make more than is actually on offer and I think it would benefit them to show everything possible.

In particular, their bone handle and wooden handle 'whittler' (high carbon version blade would be most welcome too) and whether or not they still do their version of the British Army Knife as seen ontheir homepage. The 80 Bex lock (also shown on their home page) is hard to find now. It's a bit of a rough looking thing but if they tightened things up with it, it might appeal to more people. I have one which looks like it was made by a 1st year apprentice finish wise, but it's light as a feather for such a large knife and the blade is superb - I think it should be a must have back up knife. They seem to do a rosewood version but I like the bex scales because it makes the knife look like a worker so it will be used as a worker.

They make good stuff but they seem to make it hard for people to view and buy their wares - which is a bit bizarre.

I emailed them a short while ago to enquire about a more bespoke folding whittling knife (a hobby of mine) but never received a reply. It's a pain to carry their bone handle fixed blade whittler - so I seldom do. A folder is so much more convenient. I bought a £10 Rough Rider whittler just because it's a folder, but it's not really suitable. I think A. Wrights could take a look at, say, Flexcut and come up with something of their own. I don't know what stainless steel they use, for example but it's better than whatever Rough Rider are using.

I bought my wife one of their rosewood peach pruners and she loves it.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Whilst you are there, could you ask why their website homepage shows more knives than are for sale in their online shop? I suspect they make more than is actually on offer and I think it would benefit them to show everything possible.

In particular, their bone handle and wooden handle 'whittler' (high carbon version blade would be most welcome too) and whether or not they still do their version of the British Army Knife as seen ontheir homepage. The 80 Bex lock (also shown on their home page) is hard to find now. It's a bit of a rough looking thing but if they tightened things up with it, it might appeal to more people. I have one which looks like it was made by a 1st year apprentice finish wise, but it's light as a feather for such a large knife and the blade is superb - I think it should be a must have back up knife. They seem to do a rosewood version but I like the bex scales because it makes the knife look like a worker so it will be used as a worker.

They make good stuff but they seem to make it hard for people to view and buy their wares - which is a bit bizarre.

I emailed them a short while ago to enquire about a more bespoke folding whittling knife (a hobby of mine) but never received a reply. It's a pain to carry their bone handle fixed blade whittler - so I seldom do. A folder is so much more convenient. I bought a £10 Rough Rider whittler just because it's a folder, but it's not really suitable. I think A. Wrights could take a look at, say, Flexcut and come up with something of their own. I don't know what stainless steel they use, for example but it's better than whatever Rough Rider are using.

I bought my wife one of their rosewood peach pruners and she loves it.

How far are you from Sheffield? Sounds like you should contact them and arrange to meet up and have a chat. I'm a bit further away than you but will be spending a long weekend up there soon to have a look round as I'm obsessed with knives and razors. If you're after bespoke folders for whittling just give them a ring and see what happens, you may be pleasantly surprised. It's got to be worth a try if you like them so much, nothing beats a knife you designed for a specific purpose!

Lifthasir

Forager
Jan 30, 2006
East Yorks
I guess you're right in some ways, but I'm not really bothered about bespoke knives. I think if I got one and it looked too nice, I'd never use it. Besides, like many people, I can't afford custom anything these days!

Besides, I'd actually like to see Sheffield and other knife makers go head to head more with other competitors. Americans quite rightly love their knives and I'm sure every Swiss man, woman and child has some sort of SAK - so why not us? We'd still buy other knives but it would be nice if the first port of call was a local knife

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Ya I know what you mean but they tend to do fairly affordable knives with the tools and know how to knock them out quick. They might well enjoy talking to someone with a specific idea in mind and making something to suit as it could be a new line to produce in future. If you got mesters you like in Sheffield to make it you would be carrying on the tradition of having Sheffield steel in your pocket. I'm not even English but have a substantial amount of Sheffield steel in my collection, it really appeals to me and that's why I want to go there to take in some of the history. There's something about the place that makes me want to learn as much as possible...

Lifthasir

Forager
Jan 30, 2006
East Yorks
Well, I've been gradually re-shaping my Rough Rider into something a bit more useable so I might give it a go. I might knock a couple up in wood for starters, see how they look and feel and then imagine them with a steel blade :)

Lifthasir

Forager
Jan 30, 2006
East Yorks
Hi guys,

I'm going in to see John at A Wright & Son tomorrow (to pick up some of the bushcraft knives - Solomon Survival is my site). I'll ask him about the new grind and get some answers for you!

All the best,
Michael

Michael,

any update on your recent visit to A. Wright & Son???

Hi guys,

Sorry for the delay, I haven't been visiting the forum as much as I should!

John didn't mention anything about adjusted grinds and I haven't noticed any difference in the angles of grinds recently. I think it may simple be the lighting in the pictures. I'll speak to Michael Harrison when I next visit in a couple of weeks; Michael is the guy who actually makes the knives, John is the owner.

Also, the A Wright & Son website is actually managed by the Famous Sheffield Shop. It's their web team that uploads the products and ships any products purchased through their.

All the best,
Michael

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE