A welome and a plea for help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Biddlesby said:
Ok, the date is getting closer and I'm thinking more about it. You've said there will be biting creatures in Scotland, but what about the Lake District? If there are lots - what is the best way to combat them?

I've never been bitten by midgies in the Lake District but I did get bitten by clegs....nasty b****rs.
It's be a good idea to pack some anti-histamines, they'll help with any insect bites you may get and weigh next to nothing in your pack. £ stores have them in stock just now (summer=hayfever) and they work just as well as the £4.95 pack from the chemist.

Enjoy your trip, hope the weather is good.

Cheers,
Toddy

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
Anti-histamines, right thanks. Are they for after the bite not prevention?

I hope the weather is good too - we're overdue for some.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Biddlesby said:
Anti-histamines, right thanks. Are they for after the bite not prevention?

I hope the weather is good too - we're overdue for some.

Afterwards. But that said, if you get bitten again it doesn't seem to react so badly if you've already taken the tablet the day before. You may very well not need them, (hopefully!) but if you do you'll be glad they're in your pack.

I got rained off early from three days last week, I've gotten sunburnt three this week :confused: Should have expected it I suppose, it's summer in the UK :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Toddy

Rhapsody

Forager
Jan 2, 2005
Aldershot, nr. Guildford, UK
I'm planning a similar trip to Scotland this summer with my friend. We're not that much older than you, either (both 18), but we've been backwoods camping for years and feel confident enough in both our kit (and, much more importantly, our ability to use it) to head into a different, wilder, environment. But even so, we will be taking kit that we wouldn't ordinarily think of taking; water purification system, stove, decent shelter (I usually pack a basha just in case, but I rarely use it instead of natural shelters), and a bivvy bag. The trick is to err on the safe side in all things; some might say that this is the golden rule of bushcraft! Your kit, as has been said by many people much wiser than I on these forums, should match your ability and knowledge; not to contradict the others in this thread, but you could very well go to Scotland and have a great time if yout took the right kit for your level of experience... but this kit might very well include a campavan if you're new to the game!

But yes, I do agree with those that have posted before me; stay closer to home for the time being and work on your skills! You'll soon find what kit you need and what you don't, and then you'll notice the amount of kit that you need reduce in size naturally as you replace item after item with your own hard-earned knowledge. Your experiences closer to home should not only be a lot safer, but I have no doubt that the satisfaction gained with every new skill will be an awful lot more enjoyable than a few cold wet nights at the foot of an unfamiliar Scottish mountain!

Rhapsody

Forager
Jan 2, 2005
Aldershot, nr. Guildford, UK
Fenlander said:
The US military use yeast tablets when in the jungle ;) Although insects may still land on you......they will not bite (so they say) :confused:

I've heard a related thing in that those that eat a lot of Marmite (also yeast-based) apparently don't get bitten as much.

I eat a lot of Marmite and, indeed, I do not get bitten a lot... Which make me wonder if there's any science behind that old wives tale or not.

(sorry to double post; just saw the above and thought I'd comment)

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
I'd better get scoffing.

By the way - I'm not going to scotland for exactly Rhapsody's reasons. It's the Lake District first, which (I'm hoping anyway) will be a bit kinder.

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
N.W. Highlands (or in the shed!)
Rhapsody said:
I've heard a related thing in that those that eat a lot of Marmite (also yeast-based) apparently don't get bitten as much.

I eat a lot of Marmite and, indeed, I do not get bitten a lot... Which make me wonder if there's any science behind that old wives tale or not.

(sorry to double post; just saw the above and thought I'd comment)

Not necessarily an old wives tale. The B vitamins in the yeast extract give off a particular smell that discourages biting insects. I live in one of the most midge infested areas in the UK and I've tried everything. Marmite works at least as well as the fabled skin so soft - and tastes a hell of a lot better!!

George

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
knife sharpening in not always an easy skill to learn from written discription.

are you able to get the the BCUK moot end of July? if you can we will have a sit down with you and take you though it.

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
Now the legalities.

I seem to be going to Grasmere in the Lake District. Can I light fires, and, more importantly, camp legally there?

[edit] I'm also intending to go off the beaten track, if the terrain allows. Still, how popular can I expect it to be?

Oh, and about the insect repellent issue. Following a recipe from mum, I mixed a bit of gin (ideally vodka but couldn't find any) with six drops of citronella and three of eucalyptus.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Grasmere is a great place. It is rather a tourist honeypot however.

I've camped up at Red Tarn by Helvellyn and near Blencathra no problems. I think upland wild camping is 'tolerated'. The fells will be busy during the day but we saw no-one after 8pm or so.

Not many trees on the fells - I would be using a tent not a tarp.

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
Is Red Tarn and or Blencathra near the Lake District? I would like a less populated area.

I am bringing a tent, partly 'cause I haven't got all my tarp equipment bought and everything.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Doc said:
Grasmere is a great place. It is rather a tourist honeypot however.

I've camped up at Red Tarn by Helvellyn and near Blencathra no problems. I think upland wild camping is 'tolerated'. The fells will be busy during the day but we saw no-one after 8pm or so.

Not many trees on the fells - I would be using a tent not a tarp.

I used to live just by Carrock fell (round the corner from Blencathra) I can't ever remember anyone getting any bother for camping round there.

Not quite sure I would call it bushcraft cos there is not much in the way of bushes round there ;)

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
The Lake district is very good for walking on mountains and moorland, but opportunities for bushcraft type activities may be fewer - very few trees on the hills for a start. There may well be wee trout in the tarns (hill lochs) I suppose. Nevertheless, just walking the hills and wild camping at high level is lots of fun and is a good for deciding about what kit you need and what kit you don't.

Grizedale forest is quite big but I've only walked there and that was about 15 years ago.

I wouldn't light fires without permission in the Lakes.

Blencathra and Hellvellyn are two of the bigger mountains in the lakes and popular with hillwalkers. The classic route up Hellvellyn is Striding Edge -it needs a bit of care but in summer is within most folks abilities. (Looks scarier than it really is)Red Tarn lies below Striding Edge http://www.edgypix.com/pages/ld04820.shtml

The Lakes are subject to a lot of visitor pressure and it can be hard to get off the beaten track. Most hillwalkers head for the summits and surprisingly few camp wild. I like camping wild but after a few nights it is good to go to a hotel/hostel or campsite with showers!

Can't remember how old you are but if of legal age the local brew (Thwaites) is very good.

If you get the OS 1:25 000 maps you can get a good feel for what the possibilities are.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE