A weekend in a hammock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Subtitle: The "What have you lost now Mike?" Tour.

With our usual level of organisation and planning, Al and I made a last-minute decision to go hammocking this past weekend, which, of course, was the coldest of the winter so far.

We met after work on friday, and headed to Al's favourite woods not far from where he works.
Set-up took place in the dark, but seemed to go ok. We elected not to bother with tarps as the forecast was very cold (it reached -7) but dry. Al's underquilt froze.

The evening was notable for consuming a great deal of port, in a very short time, on largely empty stomachs. After I made some interesting cornering maneuvers when collecting wood, and twice almost face-planted into the fire I realised that I was, for the first time in my life, drunk (I'm nearly 43). Al told me to sit down, which rapidly became lying down, and I subsequently had to be helped into my hammock. Al thought the whole thing was hilarious.

Next morning there was light for pictures. Both of us had slept pretty well on the whole, despite the cold. Al's pitch under de-construction
6837341857_41a149cc04_z.jpg

And mine
6837344177_6f641eaeda_z.jpg

Having survived the night, we decided to move a little further north as Al wanted to try another spot. This involved a walk of at least a mile, carrying all our winter kit (in my case two rucksacks and a haversack as I hadn't been expecting a hike) through pathless woodland. Stunning country though.

Pausing for breath, I realised that I was missing a glove. I dropped my pack, and retraced my steps, and came back with the glove. Success! We moved on, and found a lovely spot under a large yew tree. At this point i realised that I was now missing my axe. I was on the point of going back along the mile of woodland when Al suggested that I look where I put the pack down shortly before. And there was the axe!

This was just 50 yards away through the trees...
6837360849_35d2b1b311_z.jpg

with the river in between
6837371351_02f03e4d94_z.jpg

So we got set up, and it started snowing. It turned out at this point that there were climbers on the cliffs. That couldn't have been very nice for them...:eek:
6837382693_fd8b03794c_z.jpg

6837387777_bd2b6fc183_z.jpg

6837395743_7816e4f9c2_z.jpg

Shortly afterwards I misplaced my knife sheath, which Al found in the food bag :confused:. I cut myself a stick from some blackthorn, and then Al realised that he was facing his first ever bushcraft night sober. It took a few minutes to dissuade him from a hike out to Tescos... my revenge for getting me drunk :p

By dusk it had started to turn to rain, to we decamped to the hammocks early.

Next day was gloriously dry. I went for a morning walk
6837412259_ea450349bd_z.jpg

I tracked a fox (heard in the night, along with tawny and barn owls) through the snow to where it made a rodent kill, and wandered out onto a spit into the river.
6837415171_55ca80faf2_z.jpg

Packing up
6837430795_c92e2d7031_z.jpg

Then on the way home we stopped for a bite of lunch at another spot (under the old severn bridge, as it happens), where we met a chap who turned out to be an expert forager who collects wild greens for the most expensive restaurant in the county. We chatted, established our credentials as interested and vaguely knowledgeable, and he said we could go foraging with him whenever we liked. Result!

I have to say that this was one of the most relaxing and enjoyable weekends out that I have ever had. Utterly brilliant. The air was cold but we never were, and the peace was absolute. I think I smiled for the entire two days.

Many thanks Al.

Last edited:

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
sounds like a nice trip out mike can't believe al was sober in the night regards dave

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
I have to say that this was one of the most relaxing and enjoyable weekends out that I have ever had. Utterly brilliant. The air was cold but we never were, and the peace was absolute. I think I smiled for the entire two days.

Many thanks Al.

That last bit made it even more worth while... Even sober! (although I'm filling the Platypus next time ;) )

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
Thanks for sharing mate
I have just ordered my first hammock which is on its way to me and I am really looking forward to try it out here :) . Hopefully it will be worth the nut roasting the missus gave me when she found out I had spent the dosh.( errrm which i am now having to sell stuff to pay back) ;)

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
Hopefully it will be worth the nut roasting the missus gave me when she found out I had spent the dosh.( errrm which i am now having to sell stuff to pay back) ;)

LOL, been there :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
Sounds like after your wife had her say you needed a stretcher too! :lmao:

Aye thats one way to put it .
But looking at your hammocking photos gives me hope it will have been worth it, I have been told they are very comfy to sleep in.
The problem I have had while hiking here has been the lack of flat and none root ridden ground so a hammock seam a good solution in the pine forests here. Well thats my excuse anyway :)

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I'm a hammocking newbie myself, and liking it very much. My main concern was lack of an underquilt but I'm finding I don't need one so long as I have good insulation beneath me (I'm using a summer sleeping bag with a foam mat inside it as my base mat) and a good sleeping bag with liner to sleep in. In winter it is heavier than ground camping, but definitely a comfortable way to be.

As an addendum to the trip above, I had 2 nights in a hammock in serious cold weeather, and was warm. The next night, spent at home in bed in my centrally heated double-glazed house, with the windows shut, I was cold.

It's all about being prepared :)

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Lovely pictures lads, right ! i think Harvestman has earned his colours in no uncertain terms , 43 and drunk for the first time ! hammock and must have been -a lot temperature wise , so Al, I trust you will drag him down for a Dartmoor meet , he is more than ready !
Hope to see you soon

Ivan...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE