A wee dawnder

Went for a wee dawnder up Tyrebagger woods the other week after work to see if I had learnt anything from my woodsmoke course. :) It was interesting, I was mainly out looking for deer as I heard there were some Roe up there, but we didn't see a single one. I guess its like looking for something but you can never find it and when you aint looking for it you find it.

I did see some strange marks on quite a lot of the pine trees which were oozing with sap/resin. I was thinking it may be the deer. But I am not sure.

Would this be wood sorrel by any chance?
sorrel.jpg

treewoutmark.jpg

Beech tree?
treeleaves.jpg

Fir Tree - supposedly this is where people come and chop down their x-mas trees.
xmastree.jpg

Strange marks..... any ideas?

tree3.jpg

tree1.jpg

trees2.jpg

This one looks like it has been coppiced quite a bit.
coppiced.jpg

When you reach the far side of tyrebagger there is a wooden structure with seats inside which was kind of weird. Obviously some of the locals like to graffiti but I found this one pretty interesting.
face.jpg

Thanks for looking. :D

Andy

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
That was wood sorrel, nice in a sandwich with chicken though dont eat too much. The single and double "Blazes" on the trees are forestry marks, the trees marked were spruces by the way. Usually to donate if a tree is going to be felled / removed. or someone was marking a trail, Deer don't make marks like that, an edged tool was used. And yes it was a beech.
Goatboy.

Ahh thats what those marks are, they seemed too common to be deer and there was no teeth marks. So thats why I was a bit hesitant to fully say a deer.

You learn something new every day :)

We were told that eating to much wood sorrel wasn't good for you, something to do with a buildup of acid? If I saw that before my course I would have walked right by it thinking it was some kind of clover.

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
We were told that eating to much wood sorrel wasn't good for you, something to do with a buildup of acid?

I believe it contains oxalic acid, which combines with calcium in the blood to produce calcium oxylate. Calcium oxylate is insoluble and forms sharp needle like crystals which in excess can damage the kidneys.

Rhubarb also contains oxalic acid.

Jim

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
It does that, why I mentioned don't eat to much, a few leaves sprinkled on yer sarnie is nice though.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Sorrel and chicken is a fave of mine, nice little sharp bite to the chicken, best on home-made brown bread.
:D
GB.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE