A Waterstone Question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Springheeljack1

Forager
May 12, 2011
Sheffield
Hi, I've been using Kings waterstones for a couple of years now, and mine seemed to have picked up some mildew on the 800 and 1200 grits, 6000 seems fine. I don't keep them in water and dry them out for a day before putting them away, they live in a tupperware box (left open) with silica sachets to draw out any more water, my questions is how do I stop it happening?, Will it affect the stones?, and should I use something like bleach to kill it off?

Thanks for any help you can give.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Not sure why that's happened but don't use bleach on them. Just get some fine wet/dry sandpaper on a flat surface and lap them until the mildew is gone. It won't affect the stones...

How often do you use them? Maybe it's just a case of them not being used enough?

Springheeljack1

Forager
May 12, 2011
Sheffield
Maybe once a month to every six weeks to do all the knifes in the kitchen and any of my knifes I use. I'll try the sandpaper and leave them out to dry for a couple of days, thanks for the advice.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
how often do you flatten them and what do you use? Waterstones are intentionally soft particularly the coarser grits. The Japanese spend nearly as much time cutting the stone back as sharpening the knife. Every time I use the stones I cut the surface back, this leaves fresh sharp clean abrasive ready to work. It still takes years of normal use to wear a stone away.

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
lancashire, north west england
I think mine are the same on the sides I dont use for sharpening. They have been in this state for some years now and it hasn't affected the way they work. As Robin said cut back the stones on the sides were they are affected if you would them prefer them mildew free. You can easily do this by soaking the stones as normal then rubbing them against each other. This is the way I 'true' or flatten my stones ready for sharpening knives.

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Just a side note if you are going to lap the stones and don't have anything flat, I picked up a mirror from poundland and took the mirror out of the frame - its ever so slightly flexible but completely smooth so if you put it on a worktop and then wet it slightly, put your wet n dry on it then have at it with the stone. Some people do it dry but I did mine after the waterstones had been soaking and didn't take very long. Putting hatchings on the stone with pencil help as well to make sure that it's completely flat.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE