A waterproof or windproof jacket for this spring and summer

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

allfatherodin

Oct 24, 2011
hitchhiking europe
Hey all. Its been a while since I lasted posted, when I was up in Scotland. I'm now in Hungary, and will soon be heading south via hitchhiking to the lower Balkans, where I shall likely be for a couple of months, at least.

I still have this Austrian M65 with me, which is a hefty bit of kit, and I get much too warm wearing it. It just doesn't make much sense when its supposed to be protecting me from moisture.

So since trading my winter-oriented gear while on the road is hard, i'm thinking of buying cheap and hopefully lightweight military gear for summer use, and storing my heavy stuff at a friends place until the next winter sets in!

I'm curious if I should go for a lightweight goretex shell (looking at the German flecktarn. Price catches my eye the most), or maybe, since I doubt i'll be seeing TOO much rain in the future, maybe one of those British gaberdine smocks? I have a wool pullover and merino wool undershirt for warmth, so I dont want anything but a shell for the outer layer.

Lastly, even though I know this thread is for clothing, I want to get rid of my bulky and 4ísh pound sleeping bag in exchange for a very basic warm weather bag. Ideas for a spring/summer sleeping bag? Looking for a military bag there as well.

Thankee!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
The British Army Goretex desert pattern smocks are cheap as chips and not quite as military looking as DPM or Flectarn IMO, combine with a softie jacket (they are lightweight and compress well) and your good to go for three season at least.

Army Jungle bag maybe?

Which part of Hungary are you in? We've only been to Budapest which is a wonderful city.

Bumbler

Nomad
Feb 22, 2013
Norway
www.bushcraft.no
The British Army Goretex desert pattern smocks are cheap as chips and not quite as military looking as DPM or Flectarn IMO, combine with a softie jacket (they are lightweight and compress well) and your good to go for three season at least.

Army Jungle bag maybe?

Which part of Hungary are you in? We've only been to Budapest which is a wonderful city.

I second that. And that jacket is very roomy too, so getting whatever you need to keep warm in winter under this jacket is no problem as well. I'd say it's good year round, as it is just a basic shell.
It's wahtever you wear underneath it that will keep you warm. It also packs down quite small in it's own hood.

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn

Army Jungle bag maybe?

very good advice as always.

allfatherodin

Oct 24, 2011
hitchhiking europe
Thanks for the info, all. I've looked at those desert jackets (the pre MTP ones, I assume!), and they do seem fairly cheap. Around 25 pounds on ebay. Any leads on a cheap website to get them from? (might try the classifieds here, too)

And what is there exact weight? I can't seem to find it.

I was in Budapest for about four months, working in a hostel. It's a fine city, but i'm too much of a country boy to have thought it was fantastic. I'm not on a farm in the south, which is a LOT more my thing. Can't wait to reach the shores of Greece, though!

allfatherodin

Oct 24, 2011
hitchhiking europe
When I get to Greece, I plan to either head west towards Spain, or East into Turkey. I might do that! Damn Europe... So many choices :D I think i'm leaning more towards Turkey. Besides the ancient history of Italy, im not TOO interested in that direction... yet.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE