A wandering I did go!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I went for a wander this evening. My first plan was to go up this hill I used to go to a lot. Meant to walk up to the limestone crag with wide views out for miles and sit to read a book while the sin descended. Got to the limited parking and three cars were there where four can park. Trouble is two of them had parked in a away so that they took up the space of 3 big cars. Buggers. No other places to park so I had to move on.

Not wanting to go home with my tail between my legs I decided to go to another area I haven't been to for about 6 to 8 years. This area was an old Limestone quarry and limestone crags with excellent views out over Morecambe Bay. It's called Warton Crag. Anyway it has loads of little paths going in all different directions in and out of woods and on the edge of the crags and quarry. I went without a map or compass and intended to walk to the top of the crag and read my book. Anyway I enjoyed walking round all the paths up there and checking out anything that interested me that I never got to sit and read.

I learnt tonight that it is fun to just walk in any direction and no particular direction. Just to wander. I must admit to getting lost. This would normally bother me but I was enjoying it so much that I was calm and not bothered.

I saw a habitat pile of small logs and spotted one that had a slight bend in it. A spoon perhaps?!! Can you take wood like this do you think? Its a small local nature reserve but one short length of wood for carving can't be a problem can it?? BTW I was looking out for such a piece of wood following a suggestion on my new thread I posted today about ideas for something more bushcrafty and creative.

Everywhere I went I heard scurrying in the undergrowth away from me. Some were blackbirds, others were obviously some of the many rabbits up there. I often didn't see them but heard the rustling. I think I could tell the blackbirds from thee rabbits and from some other critters. Some of the rustling were too small and low down for rabbits and weren't the blackbirds as I can often see them. I got it into my mind considering where they were on a limestone crag that they could have been a type of lizard but that's probably wrong. They were low down in the litter near the edge of undergrowth and i could not see anything even when looking directly at the area the sound is coming from. The litter wasn't moving and the rustle was staccato with a gap between each motion. Whenever i have seen lizards scuttering away IIRC they move a bit then stop to look around before moving a bit more. just like the sound I heard.

Anyway if you live near there take a look at Warton Crag. Its a nice area and well worth a look-see!!

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I do exactly the same thing. Wonder around aimlessly with no direction in mind. It's little bimbles like this that I get to see more. Over the years I've learnet to walk really slowly and quietly, which I found really hard at first a sI have quite a quick pace. When you do that, the animals tend not to skit off and even miss you sometimes.

The small skittering sounds probably were lizards, they have a distinctive light scuffling noise different from rodents and snakes. It's worth stopping dead still and scanning where the sound came from as both snakes and lizards will move off quickly but then stop and watch to see if they have been spotted. You can usually see them half in and half out of cover this way.

resnikov

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Haaha sweet, I spent my first 18 years living in Warton and know the Crag really well. Used spend whole weekends as kid wandering about up there.

If your are lucky you will see deer up there and I also saw my first snake in the wild on it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE