A walk to work (pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
As the weather has been so good lately, and I didn't have to be in work until 2pm, I decided to walk the 4-5 miles. Here are some photos, since for a change I remembered to take the camera along.

The route is almost entirely along the Monmouthshire and Brecon canal.

This is in one of the more urban bits.
IMGP0579.jpg
The view from the canal across into rural Monmouthshire
IMGP0580.jpg
Some semi-wildlife
IMGP0583.jpg
Another view
IMGP0584.jpg
A canal basin. Dave53 and I propelled a hired canoe to this point last year, remarkably without falling in. Neither of us are canoists.
IMGP0589.jpg
Where I work. This is the site where nylon was originally invented, apparently. Now the industrial bits are largely dormant and it is mainly office space. Very nice grounds though with an excellent selection of trees.
IMGP0591.jpg
A farm, where a peacock is usually heard calling, though I've never actually seen the bird.
IMGP0593.jpg
The Folly Tower. Built originally as part of the Hanbury estate, it was demolished during the second world war, in case it served as a landmark for bombers trying to locate the Glascoed munitions factory a few miles away. It was rebuilt in about 1985, and is open to the public once a year. The view from there is amazing. It also marks more of less the southernmost point of the Brecon Beacons National Park.
IMGP0594.jpg
Someone left this hat behind. Ladies size, Matalan label. I left it where it was.
IMGP0596.jpg
Iron trusses under a canal bridge.
IMGP0597.jpg
One final look back along the canal.
IMGP0598.jpg

On arriving at work a little early, I did a walk around the grounds, and found a dead mole.
IMGP0604.jpg
A few paces further on, I found two more. Any suggestions as to what killed them? They looked a bit battered, but skin was more or less intact.
IMGP0605.jpg

By the time I started work, I was pretty chilled out. Lovely day. Thanks for looking.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Lovely pics, must be a nice area to work in. Maybe a cat killed the moles? My old cat didn't like the taste of moles, but he didn't want them on his patch either.

Robbi

Banned
Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
what a wonderful walk to work :) and great photo's.

as for the moles, do you have cats about there ? our old cat would pounce on the mole hills as the mole came up and catch them and kill them but never ate them.

kodiakjoe

Apr 11, 2011
Leeds
looks like a great walk :) not sure what killed your moles but you always tend to find them intact as the toxins they secrete to paralyse worms means that they taste foul to predators.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Nice pics. Not sure it's a cat that killed the moles. Many people report finding dead moles at this time of the year apparently intact. Moles (& shrews) have scent glands along their bodies which most predators find repulsive, owls though, will gobble them whole, probably because they don't have a sense of smell & so can't taste their food. :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE