A walk in the woods and a few edibles.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Went out for a wander this afternoon round some local woods. Spent a happy couple of hours bimbling about and seeing if any mushrooms were coming up yet and found a nice burl on a fallen oak to try out making a kuksa. Took some pics of the ones I could positively ID, but I'm never 100% so feel free to correct me :).

Bit of a mucky Beefsteak Fungus

006_zpse4c18816.jpg

Found an egg stage Stinkhorn, there are hundreds of these in this wood.

019_zps33f0f2de.jpg

Bit dried out this one, but I thought Charcoal Burner?

020_zpsc6f123e5.jpg

Old and dry Chicken-of-the-Woods

022_zpsc38f5f80.jpg

And a younger specimen high up in a nearby tree

026_zpsd8871619.jpg

Stopped for a brew

029_zpsed296c22.jpg

This seemed like another Beefsteak but had a texture more like a bolette. Growing on Oak though....

032_zps7f9f8c45.jpg

Some Rosebay-Willow-Herb, going to seed a bit but tried some pith. Quite tasty and refreshing like cucumber or melon.

034_zpse1b4a888.jpg

Greater Burdock

056_zpse4ba2f86.jpg

All in all a fine afternoon :D

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Cheers glad you all like the pics :).

I've been trying to improve my ID skills over the last few months. It's a a slow process!

almac

Forager
Oct 13, 2010
Okanagan, BC CANADA
just curious. what kind of fuel do you use in your crusader stove? solids or liquids?
are any of your fungi pics edible?

thanks for the great pics. :)

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
just curious. what kind of fuel do you use in your crusader stove? solids or liquids?
are any of your fungi pics edible?

thanks for the great pics. :)

Well presuming the purpley mushroom is in fact a 'Charcoal Burner' then they all are edible. I use a little 'Monkey Boy' stove in my crusader. It's a lip balm tin filled with fibreglass loft insulation and held in place with some sieve mesh. Neat little thing that's very light and holds enough meths to boil 500ml, invented by a member on here I believe.

monkeyboystove_zpsfd795554.jpg

jim.b

Maker Plus
Jul 3, 2013
hull
Great pics kit, very informative thanks for sharing, you will have to give me a shout when you next go for a local wander.

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Sure thing Jim, this was at burton bushes on the west wood if your interested

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE