A very British dilemma...

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Am busy packing my bike ready for a few days on the road, and I've hit up against a very British dilemma...

... How many tea bags do I need for 4 days... ?

Anyone else find them selves in this sort of position?

J

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
How many cuppas do you drink in a day? Work it out them multiply by at least 3, nothing worse than finding there's no tea for your morning brew.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I re use my bags so I wouldnt need many.

Nor milk, as putting milk in tea is an affront to civilisation.

Aug 4, 2013
Berkshire
Once I counted a day's T-bags - it was 16 - mind you I was putting in a bathroom. Never done it before and I think things like that need the sort of drinking/thinking time only a cuppa affords. My low end is 3 - morning, lunch, mid-aft. So the answer is somewhere between 3 to 16 per day - 12 to 64 for your trip. Anyway they weigh little and are good kindling (before use).

vestlenning

Settler
Feb 12, 2015
Western Norway
There's a lot we Norwegians don't know about you British and tea. For instance: When do you drink most - when having a good time or when feeling down?

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Well I've packed my lunch and tea supplies for this trip. Tea bags don't take up much space, but the milk sachets do... Will see how many I have left at the end of the trip...

J

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
A fishing buddy introduced me to instant powdered pg tips, which I took to the arctic. I also learnt that the dutch are very serious about their coffee. Id take bags next time. Luckily a previous guest had left some yorkshire tea. I had to show them how to add milk and sugar, as they were mainly into drinking liptons flavored tea bags.
It was all a bit bloody odd. :D

Although i do drink the occasional green teabag and honey, dash of lemon. But to be honest, pine needle tea, [scots pine] without anything added I find almost theraputical. [lots of needles though.] settles your stomach, not acidic in anyway. And a bit weak, but theres something about it.... Just dont drink the gunk at the bottom.

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I fixed that one…..I bought an extra tea infuser from nothing but tea.co.uk. It's very fine gold mesh and it fits inside a mug without couping or spilling. I put my coffee into the filter, put the filter into my mug and pour on hot water. Let it steep for a bit then lift it up and allow it to drip through.
Not perfect/perfect, but very decent mug of coffee :)
Worth every penny those tea infusers; I've been using my tea one for over five years now and it's still in truly excellent condition.

I'll find a link.

atb,
M
http://nbtea.co.uk/store/219-large_default/tea-infuser.jpg

Last edited:

mrostov

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Texas
I never hit the boondocks without an excess of both tea and coffee. The weight involved with both is negligible and the space used is minimal. Nothing sucks worse than running out of tea or coffee, and unless you are alone, you usually have someone without the same level of foresight mooching tea and/or coffee off of you.

I'll usually bring both bagged tea and bagged coffee (if available), and a supply of instant versions of each. Coffee in seep bags, the same as tea is often packaged in, is extremely convenient.

I have an infuser style brewing tool, plus a mini-French press. However, cleaning them out is a hassle if I'm roughing it.

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I can't say that the coffee is absolutely dust free using it, but it's incredibly fine and very drinkable :) I like 'real' coffee, and I like cardamon in it too at times :) I don't like milk or cream in it at all. Black, tasty, maybe sweet if I'm in the notion.
Just don't mix up the infusers, but keep one for tea and one for coffee :D….the coffee one always looks cleaner than the tea one which stains with the tannins, so it's easy to tell mine apart. Easy to rinse out too, and that wee lid thing keeps things drip free and tidy when having your cuppa, or it keeps the heat in while things brew :)

Someone practical thought about those infusers :D

M

mrostov

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Texas
Out in the boondocks in the US west, if you run out of tea it's usually easy to find 'Mormon tea'. It grows wild all over the place. Just brew it in some boiling water. It's the American species of the ephedra plant. Unless you mix something with it it has a taste that is, well, an acquired one. But, being packed with ephedrine, it does give one a bit of a pick me up. It's not as potent as the Chinese version they use in herbal concoctions, but it will do in a pinch. They call it Mormon tea because in the 19th Century the leader of the Mormons told them to avoid tea and coffee, so they started drinking tea made from ephedra.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE