A unique place to live

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
What a great watch. Love the way they keep referring to it as small, its bigger than most UK houses.
Wonderful place to live.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Fantastic! At one time I had thought about a houseboat, either near hear on the St John's River, or out west on Lake Mead. Neither could hold a candle to that couple though.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I like that place. My wife's eyes lit up when watching the clip as well.
As I've never lived on the water though, I'd be interested to see how bad it is for midges and mosquito's during the summer as well as how thick the ice gets during winter.
Really thick ice would stop their boat but be OK to walk on I assume but I wonder if there's a thickness of ice that stops the boat but is still too thin to walk on?

Some of the off grid retirement homes are great but people buy them when they are getting on a bit. Its a bit like people buying a house/cottage in the country when they retire then they spend a fortune on getting it converted for the fact that they might be losing mobility. I see it a bit in the building trade and sometimes people get the house moved into then shortly afterwards they can't cope and have to move out.

In short, I really like the place but suspect its not the best setup for the elderly.

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
I like that place. My wife's eyes lit up when watching the clip as well.
As I've never lived on the water though, I'd be interested to see how bad it is for midges and mosquito's during the summer as well as how thick the ice gets during winter.
Really thick ice would stop their boat but be OK to walk on I assume but I wonder if there's a thickness of ice that stops the boat but is still too thin to walk on?

Some of the off grid retirement homes are great but people buy them when they are getting on a bit. Its a bit like people buying a house/cottage in the country when they retire then they spend a fortune on getting it converted for the fact that they might be losing mobility. I see it a bit in the building trade and sometimes people get the house moved into then shortly afterwards they can't cope and have to move out.

In short, I really like the place but suspect its not the best setup for the elderly.

Regarding the lake ice, I suspect there wouldn't be much if any as the climate is quite mild, and doubt if the lake would even freeze over.
Yes, getting older always limits ones choices and reinforces the fact that we should do as much as possible while we still can.
A place I found interesting enough to research a bit, so here are several links with more info:
Powell River

Powell River, British Columbia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Geography | Powell River, BC |

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE