A Tree problem

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
P2070021.jpg

P2070023.jpg

its close to the prefab garage and the path is rising. Im worried about the concrete garage base cracking under the roots

anyway to save the tree `and` garage? My friend has got a chainsaw and is itching to use it.

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
What type of foundations do you have? If you've got floating foundations they may not be affected.

MikeE

Sep 12, 2005
Essex
:eek:You might be able to trench alongside the footings and cut the roots that extend under the garage. Then you just pray that the tree isn't too stressed, survives and doesn't fall over!:puppy_dog

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
Tell your friend to put the chainsaw away! Get a proper tree surgeon in, ensure it doesn't have any protection orders on it and then he can set to work. If your friend tackles it and it falls on somebody and kills them, then there will be trouble. Also, if the tree goes the wrong way, you may end up with the garage demolished or a new window in the side of your house!

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
what phil said, in tree surgery there are more things that can go wrong than you may think.

unfortunately there is nothing you can do but remove the tree:( but you can plant one to replace it (in a sensible place).

on the plus you now have some free wood to work with:)

pete

Ratbag

Subscriber
Aug 10, 2005
Barnsley
Tell your friend to put the chainsaw away! Get a proper tree surgeon in, ensure it doesn't have any protection orders on it and then he can set to work. If your friend tackles it and it falls on somebody and kills them, then there will be trouble. Also, if the tree goes the wrong way, you may end up with the garage demolished or a new window in the side of your house!

Jeez buddy, you sound just like someone I know!

Fair comments though...

:D
Rat

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
Hi Tengu,

where abouts in wiltshire are you? I trained as a tree surgeon (but too many of us up here so had to get another job). I'm based in worcs but would be happy to come down and take your tree down safely, if you'd be happy to dispose of the brash. I guess the wood will be no problem.
PM me.

Baggins

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE