A tough decision!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Abbe Osram said:
I have a CZ / BRNO with a Bushschnell scope and love it. Its true that the trigger is very strong. But one can get it fixed or one can fix it with a special trigger kit yourself. I havent done it as I am a hunting greenhorn and like not to have a very soft trigger yet.

cheers
Abbe

Hi Abbe,
Go for the trigger mod, you won't be sorry.

As to shortening the barrels of rimfire r*fles, from what I know, the powder of most ammunition is burnt up within 16 inches of the breech, therfore it has become popular to shorten a barrel to this length. So long as the barrel is re-crowned correctly, there should be no accuracy issues.
Another factor of accuracy, is the harmonic frequency of the barrel from the percussion of the discharge. The barrel rings like a bell after the shot and if the bullet exits the muzzle as the muzzle swings to one side, the shot will go wide. Shortening the barrel raises the frequency and hence lessens the effect.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Abbe Osram said:
Why did you shorten the barrel? Is it not taking away from the aim precission?
cheers
Abbe

Here in the UK most rimfires are used for vermin control and by no means discharged miles from civilisation. We therefore fit silencers/moderators. Such makes for much better relations with landowners and residents who would otherwise take less than kindly to the crack of a .22 at 4 in the morning! It is also very helpful for follow-up shots when getting amongst a colony of rabbits!

If you add 6 or 8 inches of moderator to the length of a factory Brno barrel it is, at least in my opinion, a little unwieldy for use in the Field. The same would not however apply if you were using it in moving target competition where weight forward is desirable and helps with the follow through required in this demanding sport.

Sorting rimfire ammo by rim thickness is well worth the trouble for those who have never tried it:

http://www.deerstalker.com/22_accuracy.htm

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Klenchblaize said:
Here in the UK most rimfires are used for vermin control and by no means discharged miles from civilisation. We therefore fit silencers/moderators. Such makes for much better relations with landowners and residents who would otherwise take less than kindly to the crack of a .22 at 4 in the morning! It is also very helpful for follow-up shots when getting amongst a colony of rabbits!

If you add 6 or 8 inches of moderator to the length of a factory Brno barrel it is, at least in my opinion, a little unwieldy for use in the Field. The same would not however apply if you were using it in moving target competition where weight forward is desirable and helps with the follow through required in this demanding sport.

Sorting rimfire ammo by rim thickness is well worth the trouble for those who have never tried it:

http://www.deerstalker.com/22_accuracy.htm

Whow, thats funny to hear. It looks like a lot of things are forbidden in the uk, like making a fire and sleeping where ever you want, but you are allowed a silencer!
We are not allowed to use silencers, especially not on a .22 because you really dont hear much. Some people are allowed to get a special permit for group 1 weapons, where we hunt moose with. This are people who have problems with there ears. But the rest of us are forbidden to use silencers. Maybe too many people would shoot reindeers and steel them without anyone hearing a sound.
Would be cool to hunt with a silencer so. :D

cheers
Abbe

Polestar

Tenderfoot
Oct 7, 2005
Lewes
pothunter said:
Hi Polestar
You have made a good decision, now though consider leaving the weapon in its ‘natural’ state, no tele sight, moderator or bipod and using fieldcraft and to get within range of your chosen quarry, I think you will find this very satisfying and it sits well with bushcraft.
Although I use all additional means available for vermin control, when doing a ‘job’ as opposed to hunting.

Pothunter.
I've given a lot of thought to your comment, and have come to the conclusion that when I'm 'hunting', my priorities are different tomost of my 'bushcraft' forays. I don't mean that I'm not tuned in to my surroundings, or use a lot of fieldcraft skills etc. simply that I have a different focus (excuse the pun). I always get within range of the prey, but it is with a view to ensuring that as far as possible, I am able to k**l it cleanly with one shot, by hitting exactly where I am aiming. In order to ensure this I will use whatever 'aids' are available. I don't in any way disagree with the sentiments of your comment, but wouldn't ever want to 'practice' my bushcraft at the expense of some other creature.
David

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
I had my 10/22 shortened and it improved the acuracy quite a bit, probably due to the recrowning.

363_6338_1a.jpg

You have to keep the silencer on it or you could shoot yourself in the hand :lmao: , this is just on the legal limit.

Had to radius the back of the bolt and smooth everything to get it to cycle with subs but once it was set up it was very reliable.
Free floated the barrel, modified it to auto bolt release and fitted a home made bolt buffer.
It handles really well, nice slick action and really quiet.
I did fit a full Volquarsten trigger kit but i took it out and tuned the standard unit and i liked it better.
Just a matter of stoning and polishing all teh contact area's, adding a few shims to tighten it up and an over travel screw makes it pretty sweet.

It's getting traded in for a short action CZ Varmint soon as i fancy a change and another project.

I was going to buy a Sako or an Anschutz but they shoot great right out ofthe box and i like a project :rolleyes:

All american guns now have rubbish triggers and now the CZ is being pushed onto the American market the trigger will not be sorted from the factory but like the Ruger the CZ trigger can be sorted to be very good for field use.

rb

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
I've never owned a sako .22, but I used to have a Sako Finnbear in 7 MM Magnum, and it was an exceptional piece.

I had an Anschutz. Very good - very precision shooter. My personal favorite, however, is a very old Remington bolt repeater with an ancient squirrel scope. I had one when I was a kid and have just, in the last five years, found this beauty at a police auction (where I was able to pick it up very reasonable).

DSC02675.jpg

Polestar

Tenderfoot
Oct 7, 2005
Lewes
Looks like a great ri+*e Pierre, and I love the scope. Also love the idea of the Police selling off g*@ns ... over here they send all siezed/handed-in 'items' to the foundry where they are melted down. I've seen some absolutely beautiful weap**s (including some with historical significance) which ended up this way. :(

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
Polestar said:
Looks like a great ri+*e Pierre, and I love the scope. Also love the idea of the Police selling off g*@ns ... over here they send all siezed/handed-in 'items' to the foundry where they are melted down. I've seen some absolutely beautiful weap**s (including some with historical significance) which ended up this way. :(

In the last few years, police auctions here have been precluded from selling g--s here as well. We can only sell them to people with a federal license. If we are updating our service weapons (p----ls, r---es. sh----ns), we trade in the old ones, including any we've confiscated - for very lttle - and receive new ones. The dealer is not usually too interested in the old ones and allows us, personally, to buy them back for the price he's quoted us, plus a $25 paperwork fee - one fee per person, which allows you to buy as many as you want for the $25 fee (plus the quoted price per g-n).

A funny story: My brother was looking at a book of rare museum quality 17th century flintlocks. He saw a photo of one he knew he'd seen in the evidence room. The price quote in the book was near $100, 000 USD for the flintlock. He was unable to locate the flintlock in the evidence locker.

My brother asked the lieutenant, only to find the lieutenant had cut it up with a cutting torch. My brother brought the book, with the page turned to the photo of the flintlock, and left it on the offending lieutenant's desk. The lieutenant took the rest of the day off. My brother's fellow deputies said the lieutenant looked like he was choking as he left the office, and they said they'd never seen anyone's face quite that shade of purple.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE