A time for contemplation.... and testing.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
The other day I just had to go out. I needed time to think, time to clear my head, time to release all the bottled up frustration and anger or at least some of it.
Yesterday I got notice that I have not been accepted into university and that hit home harder than anticipated. All of the built up frustration and irritation over these last few years surfaced, sparking an anger and spite such as I have not felt it in many years. So I was in dire need of some "green medicine"! That's why I finished the pack basket yesterday, so I could give that one a test run, too.
On my way in I came across one of the "locals". Pretty big fella..

01.jpg

First destination was the old camp and lean-to. That proved to be an abysmal sight. It had been 2 months since I last was here and in the meantime we have had a severe drought, more than a week of hot weather, followed by a sudden change in weather bringing monsoon-like downpours and strong winds. Not a needle was left on the branches!

05.jpg

06.jpg

So I just tore the whole thing down and spread all the branches through the area. Since that is mainly spruce too, the unusually high concentration of branches should not be to obvious. After removing all of the "tiling" the main roof frame was visible and that still held! I could topple it over in one piece. If I had chosen to redo the roof, the lean-to would have been usable again.

11.jpg

12.jpg

I also noticed an unusually high amount of rowan shoots. Even 2 right in front of the lean-to! Yet there are no rowan on site. I guess birds must've "dropped" them off.

17.jpg

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
After I had removed all the twigs, branches and poles I was left with a thick carpet of needles.... where one of the new residents made itself known! Too bad you can not see the iridescent blue lines around its shields.
The poles I put upright next to a spruce and I did the same with a number of the larger branches next to another. These will make good firewood for future visits, like in winter. It can dry some more, which is needed, because when I cut a piece of bark from a birch, it was still green underneath! This piece has been cut down last autumn, has been used in my lean to, away from the soil, in sun and wind and still green. Birch never ceases to amaze me!

02.jpg
18.jpg

I did however collect the very thin pieces of bark, that peeled off as well as a thicker piece from another birch pole. I needed those for the fire.
While I was running around, scattering all the building materials, I frolicked about a bit with my anorak. I had to put that one on, since the Swedish Luftwaffe (mosquitoes) was very active. So active that even Wilma's Nordic Summer struggled to be effective.

07.jpg

When all the work was done it was time for some coffee. But first fire preparations had to be made. I always carve away some of the bark on the first birch branches, exposing the dry fibers beneath. It not only keeps the water inside, but quite effectively protects the wood from fire as well.

08.jpg

09.jpg

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
I had a bit of difficulty with the firesteel, getting the sparks to land where I wanted to. It has been months since I last used it. But it worked. And the camera fell over for no particular reason...

16.jpg

After an hour or 2, having cleaned up the area (and found some peace of mind), had my coffee and my lunch, I doused the fire with the remaining water I had with me, more was on the way, judging by the accumulating clouds and incidental thunderclaps overhead, I packed up my basket, deciding I would hike up the mountain/hill, a roughly 5km round trip.

19.jpg
15.jpg

13.jpg
14.jpg

Brizzlebush

Explorer
Feb 9, 2019
Bristol
Loving the basket. It's beautiful.
Not getting into Uni is the best thing that could have happened, even if that isn't obvious now.
I find even an hour outdoors in the woods makes me feel better.
A night out resets me.
Go well.

Reactions: MrEd and RonW

Ed the Ted

Forager
Dec 13, 2013
Scotland
sorry to hear about your uni disappointment, it was a blessing in disguise one year when i was rejected. Thanks for the pics.

Reactions: RonW

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I'm sorry to hear about your rejection from university.
It may seem that a door has been slammed but there is always another door opening somewhere.
What were you wanting to study?
I was rejected for a city and guilds course in forestry once, but I didn't give up and applied again the next year and got in because meanwhile I got a job working in the field with small woodlands which showed I was up to the rigours of the job and gave me some relavant experience.
With the new reality of lack of jobs and resession due to covid, this could be a blessing in disguise. A time to rethink and go for another path in life perhaps?
I'm sure you are not a one trick pony, so take some time to think and write down all the pros and cons.
From forestry I eventualy went into woodland conservation which led me onto other paths again.
Life is fluid and I find that taking on anything that peaks your interest can be a path to somewhere good and fulfilling.
Best of luck.

Last edited:

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
I am actually running out of doors pretty fast now. I was aiming for an education to become a teacher, which would be another path altogether.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
So you want to teach.
You have outdoor skills
You enjoy being outdoors obviously
How much would you have had to pay for uni out of your own pocket?
Would the cost of becoming an outdoor instructor be more or less?
You could combine your love of outdoors with teaching.
A btech takes you to employment as an instructor. School groups etc.
Yes at present not much call but the next year or so things will pick up just as you finish training.
Possibly become a btech teacher at a college.
That's one possibility.
If you think hard enough a route will become possible.
I use flow charts when I can't see a way. Least I think that's what they are called.... you know the ones.. put the problem in the middle of the page and draw lines to bubbles with pros cons and other ideas comming off the central bubble, with other bubbles comming off them.
I then colour the positive bubbles one colour and negative another. That gives you an at a glance feel for how you are thinking.
Then you work with the positive ideas .
It isn't foolproof but it gives you a clearer mind as to what's possible .
You need to do your own thinking on this. What I've said is an example. Not much use if you want to teach mathematics or history! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Brizzlebush

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I'm sorry , I did not realise giving you an example from my life and a tool that I use to work out a problem was assuming anything about you at all. I was simply attempting to encourage you not to give up on your ambition.
I hope you get where you want to go.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE