A Frankenstein backpackbasket

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
This project, or the idea for it, started to come together, while rummaging through my accumulated stuff. Stuff that I had saved from all sorts of places. Stuff that became redundant, left over or other people's garbage.
I had the left over frame from the LK35, a few salvaged pack baskets, a derelict Vulcan backpack. The packbasket was in a pretty bad shape. The carrying straps were damaged and had come loose from the bottom, yet I could not determine where they had been attached. The hinges from the lid were broken, badly bent and one had come off. Parts of the lid were broken, where the hinges were or had been. The closure was badly bent as was the attachment for the straps on top. And the wood was just in a generally bad shape, broken at places, dusty and bonedry.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg
04.jpg

One of the goals was to create a pack that can double as a seat during less than favourable conditions. That would mean a cushion and a water repellent cover. The original lid was far to weak to carry my weight, so I fabricated an extra, separate lid. I ended up with one that not only held the seat, but was removable as well. The extra lid spreads the weight away from the center and down the sides.
I also had to come up with a way to create a new hinge. This I made by reusing a strip of the Berghaus fabric, stapling that along the edge of the lid. It is not the prettiest of solutions, but does the trick.
Out of a very local bit of juniper I carved a closing peg and I added a string & closure from the Berghaus to keep the loose cushion/lid from flapping while on the move.
13.jpg
12.jpg

19.jpg

Reactions: Scotty Von Porkchop

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
The legs of the basket did not fit the frame very well and I ended up removing the hind ones completely and shortening the front ones, so that the basket sits level on the ground. Additional plus is that the bottom does not touch the ground, but then again nothing really does, since there's moss everywhere. The frame protects the bottom somewhat.

10.jpg
11.jpg

I also oiled the basket with boiled linseed oil. I hope to make it more weather resistant and give the wooden slats some of their springiness back. The were so dry that they cracked and probably would break quite easily. If nothing else it gives the basket a beautiful, deep colour.

14.jpg
15.jpg

During the oiling I got a good up close look again of the wooden slats and some, especially around the lower corners, gave me reason for concern. They might not break, but they were damaged and cracked. I had initially thought of making an inside bag out of redundant cloth from military puptents, but my eye got caught by 2 sheets of burlap, recently salvaged from an old kitchen sleeping bench. Maybe I could cut and sew one of these to size? Or.. maybe... I suddenly remembered having burlap sacks. Could they fit?? These sack come from my time, when I worked at the potatoe farm and used to contain seed potatoes.
When I found them, they turned out to be wet and musty, so first they had to dry and air in the sun.
The smell of linseed oil, old wood in the sun and burlap..... Summoning some pretty powerful memories. Smells reminiscent of my grandparent's house and I recalled 3rd or 4th grade end of year summer camp (very early 80's) ; spending the night in a horse stable, sleeping on clean hay wrapped in a wool blanket, late evening excursions and a huge final bonfire.

22.jpg

Lo and behold!
The sacks fit perfectly! Circumference wise anyway. They are quite a bit to deep, but I just folded the excess at the bottom. Nice and cushy for my gear!
I stapled the sacks in place and added extra retainers for the lid, so that doesn't open too far and rip the hinge or staples there apart.

17.jpg

18.jpg

As a final thing I added a carrying grip, made from the original grip. As I am horrible at tying knots I cheated by adding a wooden bead as a retainer.
16.jpg

The backpackbasket is done and will make its maiden voyage tomorrow!
It is being held in place by a center strap and a minor one at the top of the back.
21.jpg
20.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE