A curse on fence wire

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hi, it was a present from Cegga (Mik Cronga at Hultafors). Its a cracking design because its profile matches a splitting wedge. One good smack, remove maul, wedge in, flip maul, hammer. When I have the desired number of wedges in, I drive them with a heavier sledge. Best maul I've ever used. They are noe available in the UK but they aren't cheap!

I've a video on tree processing coming up in a few weeks. It features in that.

Reactions: Nice65

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Hi, it was a present from Cegga (Mik Cronga at Hultafors). Its a cracking design because its profile matches a splitting wedge. One good smack, remove maul, wedge in, flip maul, hammer. When I have the desired number of wedges in, I drive them with a heavier sledge. Best maul I've ever used. They are noe available in the UK but they aren't cheap!

I've a video on tree processing coming up in a few weeks. It features in that.

Ah, the legendary Cegga. I didn’t know he designed a maul. Yes, it’s the shape of the thing I found appealing, it looks ‘right’. At first I thought it might bind, but I see how it‘s been shaped to split wood without it having the club like profile of the standard maul.

On the wire, I’ve hit loads of it during my life. And nails, staples, bomb shrapnel in old London trees, but the biggest pain was an old style metal clothes line post that a Sycamore had incorporated in itself. It didn’t matter where I went in with the saw, I just kept hitting metal.

Reactions: British Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Ah, the legendary Cegga. I didn’t know he designed a maul. Yes, it’s the shape of the thing I found appealing, it looks ‘right’. At first I thought it might bind, but I see how it‘s been shaped to split wood without it having the club like profile of the standard maul.

On the wire, I’ve hit loads of it during my life. And nails, staples, bomb shrapnel in old London trees, but the biggest pain was an old style metal clothes line post that a Sycamore had incorporated in itself. It didn’t matter where I went in with the saw, I just kept hitting metal.
Oh blimey that post sounds a nightmare!

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Oh blimey that post sounds a nightmare!
It truly was. I was felling the tree and though I’d topped and de-limbed it, there was still a fairly tall trunk. I cut the gob out and came in from the back only to hit the post. The trunk was like a wobbly tooth so I had to excavate the pole by chipping out wood and get an angle grinder to it. Only tree I’ve ever felled with an angle grinder. :lmao:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
It truly was. I was felling the tree and though I’d topped and de-limbed it, there was still a fairly tall trunk. I cut the gob out and came in from the back only to hit the post. The trunk was like a wobbly tooth so I had to excavate the pole by chipping out wood and get an angle grinder to it. Only tree I’ve ever felled with an angle grinder. :lmao:
I've never done that but the section of this one with wire was split partially using bolt croppers :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE