A tarp and hammock combined ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

hemdale

Nomad
Jan 30, 2012
London
Hi guys,

I've recently found out (thanks to an awful sleepless night) that a tent pitched on an uneven or tilted ground would rapidly become a nightmare.

Do you guys have any good hammock that would have a "built in" tarp ?

Many thks !

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
I've seen some of the Hennessy hammock with the tarp strung from the same straps as the hammock. Might be worth a look.

Sent from myPhone

hemdale

Nomad
Jan 30, 2012
London
I've seen some of the Hennessy hammock with the tarp strung from the same straps as the hammock. Might be worth a look.

Sent from myPhone

Thanks mate, I'll have a look.

Why would you want a built in tarp hemdale?

To avoid having to attach the tarp. Just an idea, might be a bad idea ?

The Eureka Chyrsalis hammock is essentially a hanging tent
http://www.eurekatentscanada.com/products/view/413

Thanks, I'll check that out too. :You_Rock_

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
To avoid having to attach the tarp. Just an idea, might be a bad idea ?

I wouldn't say it's a bad idea but I don't think it brings many benefits. With a separate tarp you give yourself more space underneath, lots more headroom if you want it. Having the tarp separate also means you can set it up first and take it down last, keeping everything else dry in the process, having the tarp and hammock as one would risk getting the sleeping area wet when packed away too I should think. You can also put the hammock up out of the way if you just want some chilling space for the day time.
Maybe you're looking at it as a time saving idea, but a tarp alone probably goes up faster I reckon, once that's up you can take your time with the hammock and bedding. Speaking from a kit junkie point of view, having different tarps for different seasons is also one to think about, much the same as you would choosing a tent. A big strong tarp for winter time then a lighter smaller tarp for summer trekking. You can either look at a hammock with mossie protection for summer or a basic gathered end open hammock for winter trips.

Either way you've seen the light by the sounds of it, try a hammock and see how you get on, some folk adjust instantly while others hate them with a passion.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
isn't there a US Army jungle hammock like that?

I remember seeing a army hammock with built in tarp/roof and bug netting sides, can't for the life of me remember where though. I thought it could be useful to use as a bivi/ really small tent if the were no suitable hanging point for a hammock.

I'm sure having a bit of a google would turn it up...

Treemonk

Forager
Oct 22, 2008
Perthshire
+1 @ Shewie - couldn't agree more. Major reason for getting rid of my Hennessy was that the hammock rolled up with the wet tarp. I have a Clark which i use with either the smaller but very light tarp it comes with, a hootchie for more space, or a 3x3 aiguille for loads of space and filthy weather. I see very few benefits for retained tarps.

hemdale

Nomad
Jan 30, 2012
London
I wouldn't say it's a bad idea but I don't think it brings many benefits. With a separate tarp you give yourself more space underneath, lots more headroom if you want it. Having the tarp separate also means you can set it up first and take it down last, keeping everything else dry in the process, having the tarp and hammock as one would risk getting the sleeping area wet when packed away too I should think. You can also put the hammock up out of the way if you just want some chilling space for the day time.
Maybe you're looking at it as a time saving idea, but a tarp alone probably goes up faster I reckon, once that's up you can take your time with the hammock and bedding. Speaking from a kit junkie point of view, having different tarps for different seasons is also one to think about, much the same as you would choosing a tent. A big strong tarp for winter time then a lighter smaller tarp for summer trekking. You can either look at a hammock with mossie protection for summer or a basic gathered end open hammock for winter trips.

Either way you've seen the light by the sounds of it, try a hammock and see how you get on, some folk adjust instantly while others hate them with a passion.

Very helpful input Shewie. You're absolutely right. Now I understand why you guys have separate tarps...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE