A Studio Workshop

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Looks truly fantastic.
What I am most impressed with is the order.

My own looks like a blockbuster went off inside.

Test the overflow function, I bought a dehumifier with a faulty one and it made a mess the first night of use.
Heat up the room properly for a couple of weeks, 22 C or so, together with the dehumifier that will speed up the drying a lot.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
It will be standing on a concrete floor so overflows shouldn't be a drama. Morning and night checks should do the job.

In fairness it is early days yet, I doubt if it will stay that tidy forever. I am naturally a chaotic organiser but I will try to keep it tidy for Debs sake.

Reactions: Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
"chaotic organiser" :D
Brilliant description, really it is :)

I really like your new workshop space, it's lovely with loads of light and full of interesting potential. I wish you both a great deal of contented time in it :)

M

Reactions: Wayland

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Space? It's one of the reasons I'm putting off trying stuff out. No sheds, no possibility of a dedicated room or space. The only space to do anything is the dining room table. Won't go down well saw cuts and vice clamping marks on that.

Saving up to move to somewhere with garden and garage I think. I have to say, your photographs really show what to aim for in a workspace.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Have you tried a de-humidifier? I've used the cheap ones as well as rentals from tool hire companies and they certainly do the job. It would be a great shame if all you kit and materials absorbed the moisture and went mouldy.

Left the dehumidifier on overnight and emptied two litres of water from the tank this morning...

I think this thing is going to earn it's keep.

Reactions: Roger and JohnC

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Our Meaco ones are worth every penny we paid for them, they really are.
It's a win/win for us. They take in moisture and they give out heat :D

M

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
When Carlisle had the floods we had large dehumidifiers and some fairly serious fans blowing air about the houses I worked in.
Obviously this was after the homes had several feet of water in em so more that you would need but the principle is the same.

The studio looks a good space though, plus its important to have somewhere you both feel comfortable in.
I have a shed thats more of a shipping container and realistically its too cold, a condensation trap and just grim to work in. Not nice.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Seems to be taking about a gallon of water out of the air over a 24 hour period. This is at temperatures hovering around 10°c when the air shouldn't hold as much moisture as room temperature ( 20°c )

No wonder I've been noticing problems.

Very impressed with the dehumidifier though.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I'd love a wood stove in there but it would take up too much space.

Wayland-at-Steam-Tent-Co-operative-Goldrush-Camp-Faded-Glory.jpg

It's a replica of an old Winchester that I leathered up for one of the Steam Tent camps this year. Non firing of course otherwise I wouldn't leave it lying around.

Last edited:
Reactions: Corso and johnbaz

Roger

Forager
Sep 7, 2004
Sussex
Left the dehumidifier on overnight and emptied two litres of water from the tank this morning...

I think this thing is going to earn it's keep.
Glad its working out and drawing out the moisture rather than your stock acting like blotting paper as there's nothing harder to get out than the smell of mould on your kit.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE