A Spring Bimble & Jetboil Test

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Nothing really special but its such a beautiful morning i thought id share a few pics. I got up full of beans and as my wife and daughter were of to swimming thought id take the dog and try out my new jetboil sumo. Picked it up at Costwold in Coventry. They wanted £135 but price matched it to £84.99 so a useful wedge of savings.

I packed my little tasmanian tiger 16l pack and headed off to our local country park Coome Abbey.

It was deserted at this time of morning

Swans were still snoozing

The dog had a good run

We then found ourselves a bench and set to work on breakfast and a brew.

Id bought the Sumo with the intention of using for heating rat packs and other pouch meals

Very easy to set up and the large sumo companion cup will take the 230g larger gas canister stowed inside.

Plenty of room for a rat pack reakfast

comes with a neat pot support so you can use your own pans too. I will probably use the trangia fry pan for a normal breakfast

Anyhow 1l of water + ratpack boiled very quickly and the unit simmered very very well. This has been the primary reason id always avoided jetboil in the past but the level of control was excellent. Rat pack sausage and beans went down very well indeed. I had fears the unit would be unsteady and tippy with the extra size and weight but it felt very solid in use and when pouring. Bella was a bit miffed :)

Always good to have a cleaning tool handy to wipe up the mess before packing out the trash

Nice brew to wash it all down with and we were on our way home

Hopefully we will get out again later when the family get home

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Looks good Paul, glad your happy with it. Did you get the stabaliser base with it?
a word of caution when you try any pan other than a Jetboil one just be aware that the burner is very concentrated in the center and doesn't spread the heat very well causing hotspots.
I love mine and wouldn't be without it, I even take a spare Jetboil mug so I can cook in one and then brew in the other with the coffee press.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Great post Barethrills,

Sounds like you had a great wee walk and a chance to play with your new toy too. Jetboils are great at what they do and you got it at a good price as well so you must be chuffed. Bella looks a nice dog, love the cleaning up pic.

GB.

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
came the the orange stabiliser base which works great. Good call on the fry pan. I know they do a fry pan with the flux ring thingmy so might invest in that one. im going to keep my eye out for the smaller cup on ebay so ive got one for quick brews too. They also do a set of three cup/bowls which stash inside. The plastic base cup made a great bowl for the dog to drink from too. Dont think id pay the full £130 for one but £84.99 was a steal

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Great picks chap love the one with the swans asleep, what time was that mate

Was about 7:45 mate

Great post Barethrills,

Sounds like you had a great wee walk and a chance to play with your new toy too. Jetboils are great at what they do and you got it at a good price as well so you must be chuffed. Bella looks a nice dog, love the cleaning up pic.

GB.

Cheers GB. Shes a cracking dog. Shes just finished her season so been on short walks only for nearly three weeks. Was nice to get her out running properly again.

Marmite

Life Member
Feb 20, 2012
Gloucestershire
Excellent mini review, been thinking of one of these for a while. Love the intense concentration on Bella's face with the spoon in the pouch pic'. You can really see she's willing you to drop some:D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE