A spoon so good

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hammock

Feb 20, 2011
Scotland
Has anyone else every carved a spoon so perfect a fit for their own mouth, that it breaks their heart when they use it?

Beauty is not always visual.

H

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Surely if it was such a perfect fit, you'd want to use it as much as is humanly possible? I take the totally pragmatic stance: it was made to be used. What would break my heart is a spoon, perfect or otherwise, just sitting on a shelf or in a drawer, not being used at all.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Has anyone else every carved a spoon so perfect a fit for their own mouth, that it breaks their heart when they use it?

The spoon that I carved almost 3 years ago and use every trip out doesn't break my heart to use it but it sure does help fill my stomach :)

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex

Beauty is not always visual.

H

In a word - no.

Like Robin said, it makes my day when i see or know people are using something ive made.

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
I sort of know where you are coming from. I have a collection of spoons I have made, some I have been exceedingly pleased with, but I cant bring myself to use them! Most end up being given away as presents.
These two were begged for as i was making one of them.
latest-spoons-1.jpg

And these are a few more I have created over the last couple of months.
latest-spoons-2.jpg

The cherry one on the bottom left is particularly interesting. The branch when split was twisted, so I removed wood from one side to give me a straight surface to work. The spoon as carved was straight with the bowl in the same plane as the handle. Over the last week it has continued to twist and the handle is now about 45 degrees offset from the bowl :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE