A Spontaneous Parabolic Firemaking Moment

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
i was out identifying and photographing plants, collecting medicinal herbs and friction fire woods, and foraging for miscellaneous Useful Nature during the past couple days. in particular, i was collecting yucca seeds and was using a large, shiny metal bowl. after i had set the bowl down for a few seconds i noticed the smell of something burning. looking around, i discovered what you see below:

ParabolicFireMaking.jpg

having one photo left in my camera, i couldn't click a pic of the flame that resulted from my shoving some Goldenbush bark into the bowl after discovering that this stainless steel container acts as a parabolic fire starter.

i never would have thought...

Sep 1, 2005
Storm,

From the looks of it, a good portion of the material is in the shade of the bowl's lip due to the angle of the sun. It also looks like much of the smoke is coming from the edge of the bowl that's most exposed to the sun. Is that the position that the bowl was in when you noticed it?

Charles

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
storm said:
i was out identifying and photographing plants, collecting medicinal herbs and friction fire woods, and foraging for miscellaneous Useful Nature during the past couple days. in particular, i was collecting yucca seeds and was using a large, shiny metal bowl. after i had set the bowl down for a few seconds i noticed the smell of something burning. looking around, i discovered what you see below:

having one photo left in my camera, i couldn't click a pic of the flame that resulted from my shoving some Goldenbush bark into the bowl after discovering that this stainless steel container acts as a parabolic fire starter.

i never would have thought...

An everyday occurrence all year round here in Ireland.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
yeh, great thread but i think the Cali sunshine (california being much closer to the equaitor) is what makes this seem so effortless.. fire lighting using a concave polished metal seuface is possible here though :D

tomtom said:
yeh, great thread but i think the Cali sunshine (california being much closer to the equaitor) is what makes this seem so effortless.. fire lighting using a concave polished metal seuface is possible here though :D

A equitorial sun is not necessary. I was able to get a coal with a soft drink can yesterday. Note the low angle of the late afternoon sun.

Cnv0025.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE