A small bench

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Defo, these fellas are very comfey, I prefer them to the modern three legged stools, Dont quite fit in the rucksack though.

A small auger would though, knock one up when you get to where you are going. Probably take as long as one of those cool chopping boards, also made from split timber.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Great idea, makes a change from spoon making.

A small auger would though, knock one up when you get to where you are going. Probably take as long as one of those cool chopping boards, also made from split timber.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Glad this has popped back up actually, because I was watching Alone in the Wilderness featuring Dick Proenneke for the umpteenth time earlier and he made a chair. A full on chair, bac rest and everything! I took a time trying to figure out how he made it to no avail, so I reckon I'm gonna have a go. The shot isn't great on his film, so a bit will be guess work. I've got to gather the materials, so it won't be ready for a while though. I'll post pictures when it is done. I took the big Mora to the ones I have made today in an effort to sort the top out and give a cleaner finish. I really need to get a hold of a decent draw knife from somewhere.

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Its dead easy, we just need to make a shave horse next! Ive been meaning to make one for years ever since I had a play at pole lathe and all the bits to get ready for turning. Have to get a pattern from one of the fine fellows at the Linacre woodland festival. Come in handy for making my Yew Bow.

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Sounds like you will have a few good projects on the go addo.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Its dead easy, we just need to make a shave horse next! Ive been meaning to make one for years ever since I had a play at pole lathe and all the bits to get ready for turning. Have to get a pattern from one of the fine fellows at the Linacre woodland festival. Come in handy for making my Yew Bow.

Now, Dick Proenneke made something that he uses for his shavehorse, and it is basically a longer, taller version of these benches. The only difference is that he leaves the log whole for the six inches at the end, then cuts into the log and splits along to it, leaving him with a step at one end. This stops the work piece coming any further towards you and a few nails tapped into the top on the flat piece stops the wood wandering from side to side. We'll have to get together and have a go at one, the basic principle is these benches though.

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
The next stage on is to build yourself a pole lathe! When Robin teaches in Sweden folks on the course make a lathe starting from a larger version of that:
lathe03.jpg

lathe07.jpg

lathe08.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE