A small bench

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Quickly knocked up from some bits of wood lying about in the back yard and in Crumpitt, this bench took about 30 minutes to produce, including the splitting of the log. I can do a tutorial on it with the second half if required, but I think it is quite obvious how to do it. Lessons learnt from this one is to splay the legs outwards as well on the next one, and it needs finishing too, but apart from that it is a basic stool or bench so very simple to make.

I used a cold chisel to start the split on the log, once there was a gap I made a quick wedge and drove the log in to two pieces. It was partially seasoned, I grabbed it a few months ago off the top of Wharncliff Crags from an area that was clear cut. I then roughly hewed the top surface with my GB SFA until it was basically flattened and the worst of the splintering removed. I used a 19mm spade bit in a drill, as I couldn't find my hand driven auger, and created four holes for the legs. I cut the legs from a seasoned piece of hazel that was destined to prop up the corners of a tarp, worked the ends a bit thinner and drove them in with the poll of the axe. Roughly took the edge of the log off with the axe before fitting the legs too, but apart from that it is as basic and rustic as it looks!

Here you can see The Monkey (L) and The Badger (R) eating their dinner on it, the wife started knocking the food up just before I started and finished a few minutes before I did! They seem to like it, so I'd better get on with the Mk II version! :)

0808070029.jpg

0808070030.jpg

0808070031.jpg

Anybody else wanting to have a go should be able to do most of it with the minimum of fuss and tools. Any problems, give me a shout, although there are many more expert woodworkers here that would be able to help you out. I may make one taller for use as a small bench/table!

Bimble

Forager
Jul 2, 2008
Stafford, England
Top bench spamel. :notworthy I saw something like this in Sweden a while back. You can also put some holes in the top and bang in some poles at angles. This makes a very good saw horse for fire wood cutting with a bow saw if you make it long. It supports the cut off peices and you don't have to reposition the log for several cuts.Very quick if you have to build a big fire.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Stop the clock! Gonna go and take some pictures, sweated my new BcUK tee up for the first time since purchasing it at the Moot this week, the shape of things to come! A dark cloud has crept up on us so I'm gonna go and get some shots! Back in a while!

:D

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Boy, now I'm sweating! All kit packed tidily away (read thrown into Crumpitt, I'll do it later! :D) and pictures taken, uploaded and viewed for you (mis) pleasure!

Those who saw me at the Moot will know I wear my twit hat all the time, so here it is as proof! Both seem strong, I can only assume a the wood finishes seasoning the sockets will shrink and grip the already seasoned legs even tighter. We shall see.

0808070034.jpg

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Nice work! Maybe a coffee table next?

Did you get the idea from Will's benches perchance dear fellow?

Not sure how I'd inlay the obligatory glass section! :D I didn't take a good look at the benches the Lords' had, but I was watching old Dick Proenneke earlier and he knocked something up infinitely better looking than mine. I saw the basic principle and went with it. The legs are all over the place on hard standing, but perfect on the grass. I don't intend to use them on hard standing anyway! :D

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Oh, and sorry about the over exposed picture, but the clouds were gathering all the time, I was running out of time and could feel small droplets already so I just went with what the camera was set on!

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
looks like you have had fun I am at work for 16 hours:(

Take a log, axe and a drill in with you!

They are indoors at the moment, they make good foot stools and the kids have thrown a blanket on one each this evening for sitting on. I may plane the tops off to ensure there aren't any splinters. A spot of oil will hopefully preserve the wood.

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Nowt wrong with those Spam and it's interesting to see how you thought on to adjust the splay of the legs on the second bench. A few years of use and weather and they might get comfortable :)

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Great stuff. im going to try and knock one up this afto. Rowans just seen the pic of monkey and badger sat havin a sandwich and ordered me to the garage!
great idea to bring them to the next moot/meet.

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Well, we did one just in time for dinner.

The cordless drill ran out of charge and the drill bits wernt wide enough, so broke out the bit and brace set which was kind of nice. Not seen action since Birch tapping time.
Row is still holding the little wooden knife, spamel made, which she uses to help make the legs fit.

Good fun, goin to make some more for the older members of the clan.:)

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Defo, these fellas are very comfey, I prefer them to the modern three legged stools, Dont quite fit in the rucksack though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE