A short solo over nighter (pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

munkiboi182

Jan 28, 2012
taverham, thorpe marriott, norfolk
So I've just got back from a short solo over night session in one of my local haunts and figured i 'd share my trip with you all.
I had decided a few nights ago that i would spend a night out in the woods whilst swmbo had a long weekend off so we i would be able to venture out and still be able to spend some of the weekend with her. Its rare for her to have a full weekend off so i had to sweeten her up with flowers and a clean house and all other manners of bribery but managed to persuade her to let me out to play.
As i mentioned in the title it was only a short overnighter, i had my supper at about 18:00 last nite and swmbo had dropped me off in the woods by half past and picked me up by 09.30 today. Any way, enough wafflling have a look for yourself
DSCF2477.jpgDSCF2478.jpg
the sun setting over the meadow
DSCF2479.jpg
my home for the night. i ended up folding the front side over into a lean-to style shelter so i could see the stars
DSCF2482.jpg
an egg shell,fairly fresh hatched by the look of it (if any one could identify i'd apreciate it
DSCF2483.jpg
an old owl pellet found near my camp site, full of bones from small mammals. i could hear the owls calling for most of the evening
DSCF2487.jpg
first order of business once i had set up camp was to make a brew to drink
DSCF2493.jpgIMAG0417.jpg
the view from my hammock
IMAG0415.jpgIMAG0423.jpg
mr woodpecker home and summer retreat. i could occasionally hear the sound of tapping echoing through the trees
IMAG0421.jpgIMAG0422.jpg
sunrise!
IMAG0425.jpg
the forest was full of silver birch, unfortunately, the majority of them had this fungus attacking them. i think its birch polypore (piptoporus betulinus) but im not 100% on this.
IMAG0427.jpg
the woodland flowers were blooming well. i think this is wood sorrell. the floor was also littered with bluebells
IMAG0429.jpg
lots of evidence of kids and/or scouts
IMAG0430.jpgIMAG0431.jpgIMAG0432.jpg
the forest varied alot. From silver birch copses, pine plantations and deciduous areas to rolling meadows and heath-land blanketed by heather.
IMAG0437.jpgIMAG0438.jpgIMAG0439.jpg
my highlight of the trip was sneaking up on a pair of roe deer. a male and a female. i stood and watched them for about 5 mins before giving the game away by snapping a twig underfoot. i managed to get plenty of pics but the quality of the camera on my phone is fairly poor so they aren't as good as i'd like.
IMAG0443.jpgIMAG0444.jpg
and finally a few unusual silver birches. the one on the left had a strange tar like substance all the way up the trunk almost like it had been scorched in places. the other was a healthy, living silver birch but the inner core had died and mostly rotted away and the silver bark was actually growing inside the hollowing in places.

hope you enjoyed and thanks for reading

simon

Attachments

• DSCF2490.jpg
    DSCF2490.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMAG0418.jpg
    IMAG0418.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Looks like great trip, something special about having the woods to yourself :).
Nice pic's of the deer its magic getting shots like that.
Think the flowers are primroses?

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aye the flowers are primroses. Wood sorrel is a white flower with heart shaped leaves. Both very pretty though :) . I think a quick overnighter is good for you especially when you have to juggle loads of other commitments. Glad you had a Good un mate.

Orric

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE