A sand Hangi - is it feasible?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Totumpole

Native
Jan 16, 2011
Cairns, Australia
i've been tasked with food prep for my close friends Stag do. THe main event (ie evening p**s up) is going to be a big fire on the beach, which led me to thinking about a HAngi on the beach.

Now I've never done a Hangi before, let alone a hangi with a twist. I'm thinking the principle should be the same, but my concern is that sand will be a far better insulator and might cook the meat too quickly.

THoughts, comments and experiences please (and any Hangi oven pictures to spice up the thread would be a bonus)

Thanks to all in advance.

Colin

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
I've never made on in the sand but I see no reason why not. See here:

http://stason.org/TULARC/travel/new-zealand/C4-2-4-New-Zealand-Laying-A-Hangi-p1.html

Cheers!

Huon (a Kiwi)

i've been tasked with food prep for my close friends Stag do. THe main event (ie evening p**s up) is going to be a big fire on the beach, which led me to thinking about a HAngi on the beach.

Now I've never done a Hangi before, let alone a hangi with a twist. I'm thinking the principle should be the same, but my concern is that sand will be a far better insulator and might cook the meat too quickly.

THoughts, comments and experiences please (and any Hangi oven pictures to spice up the thread would be a bonus)

Thanks to all in advance.

Colin

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Speak to Buckshot, sargey, Moduser or the other Mods who organise the hangi at the Moot every year. That's on sand :cool:

cheers,
Toddy

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Absolutely no problem. If you make the sides too verticle as they dry out they tend to crumble in
You need to be careful of the rocks as has been said, we collect them from as high up the beech as possible to try to make sure they're as dry as poss. Some still explode. Make sure you don't stand too close especially in the first hour or so of heating the rocks - just in case
Otherwise have fun

Mark

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
How big a meal are you thinking of doing Colin?

The Hangi at the Moot gets dug out one day and fired & cooked the next, then filled back in a day after that - not something you could do on a whim in an afternoon.

Ogri the trog

Totumpole

Native
Jan 16, 2011
Cairns, Australia
Thanks for the input guys. Hope I can get this pulled off.

I've never made on in the sand but I see no reason why not. See here:

http://stason.org/TULARC/travel/new-zealand/C4-2-4-New-Zealand-Laying-A-Hangi-p1.html

Cheers!
Huon (a Kiwi)

Thats a great link - thank Huon

How big a meal are you thinking of doing Colin?

The Hangi at the Moot gets dug out one day and fired & cooked the next, then filled back in a day after that - not something you could do on a whim in an afternoon.

Ogri the trog

Its not going to be a monster Moot sized hangi, just for a dozen or so people. Despite this I think you are right - we will be hard pushed to have it all going in time for a meal before midnight without a couple of people missing he afternoon activities to create the hangi. Will a smaller hangi for a couple of reasonable sized joints (say a leg of lamb and a large bit of silverside) with some potato and veg still take a full on 6 hours to cook? May just have to push to make this Sundays activity!

Another question - can you use salt water in the hangi rather than lots of salt and lots of water?

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
At the Moot we aim for at least six hours to warm the pit and then six hours of cooking (even then we may have to finish things off over a barbeque!) - you'll be able to reduce the actual times but I still think you'll need 3 to 4 hours of burning and heating before 3 to 4 hours cooking.

I'm not sure where salt and water come into things as we tend to use a few litres of fruit juice to flavour/steam the Moot hangi.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
At the Moot we aim for at least six hours to warm the pit and then six hours of cooking (even then we may have to finish things off over a barbeque!) - you'll be able to reduce the actual times but I still think you'll need 3 to 4 hours of burning and heating before 3 to 4 hours cooking.

I'm not sure where salt and water come into things as we tend to use a few litres of fruit juice to flavour/steam the Moot hangi.

ATB

Ogri the trog

I've never had to finish food off over the barbecue after a hangi. You guys must have been cooking massive joints, adding too much liquid or perhaps some heat escaped?

There is a very comprehensive hangi safety guide here that may help:

http://www.foodsmart.govt.nz/elibrary/food-safety-practices-hangi-guide/

Colin, one fun thing to do is to cook dessert in the hangi as well. Steamed puddings can work well. We've done them in the top layer of the hangi wrapped in tinfoil and muslin and they turned out really well. I think you could probably bake bananas with cinnamon, sugar and rum in the same place.

Cheers!

Huon

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
yeah, we cook a lot of food in the hang, enough or a couple of hundred people to have some, now and then we've had a lump of meat that needs finishing off or some veg that's not quite done, for the most part though it's well done straight out of the ground, this year will be the 10th moot hangi and all should be well, spreading it out over a couple of days makes it easier to get the heating up done early and enough time for the cooking.

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
yeah, we cook a lot of food in the hang, enough or a couple of hundred people to have some, now and then we've had a lump of meat that needs finishing off or some veg that's not quite done, for the most part though it's well done straight out of the ground, this year will be the 10th moot hangi and all should be well, spreading it out over a couple of days makes it easier to get the heating up done early and enough time for the cooking.

I think it makes sense to spread a hangi out. The pit for a large number of people would be a large one and the fire would be huge.

I'm guessing that the problems you've had with undercooked food have diminished with practice? Usually undercooked means either:

Too slow covering up
Too much water
Too few rocks (too much food for the rocks you have)
Steam escaping from the pit after you cover.

I guess you could also hit problems if you had very large chunks of meat or if your food layers are too thick or too many.

If you have enough stones, a good fire and cover up quickly enough you should be pretty safe.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
yeah, it's got easier as the years have gone by, although the size increased as well for the first few years, I think that we did have too few risks at times and sometime the joints were rather big. It's all quite straight forward now though, we do the butchering workshops, get the meat into the fridge get the pit dug, fire set up etc, it all works very well. yeah, it's a big pit and it's a very big fire :D

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
yeah, it's got easier as the years have gone by, although the size increased as well for the first few years, I think that we did have too few risks at times and sometime the joints were rather big. It's all quite straight forward now though, we do the butchering workshops, get the meat into the fridge get the pit dug, fire set up etc, it all works very well. yeah, it's a big pit and it's a very big fire :D

It is really good to see hangis being used to cook over here too. They are a brilliant way to cook for large groups and used to be a fixture at pretty much every big party or gathering in NZ when I was a kid. School galas, rugby club dos and tangis were all excuses to dig a bit. I think that the flavour of food cooked this way is pretty unique.

Have you tried doing dessert in one yet? Steam puddings work really well.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE