A recipe for "Sui-Cider" - one for Stovie!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thanks for the offer but he doesn't - madly clean cut young navy pilot :) Fixes up Land Rovers and shoots game in his spare time too ....if only I could fix him up with my daughter :lmao:

georann

Feb 13, 2010
Warwickshire
www.slice-of-fire.co.uk
Now theres an interesting recipe! Love cider but whenever I've tried brewing my own (don't have enough apples so I've tried turbo and the concentrated kits you get in a can) it ends up plenty alcoholic but not very appley. But that suicider looks something else! Ditto reskinov's comment on trading it on GIOT, it would go like hotcakes!

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
You can make it (and I have) using kits. After pasteurising and cooling, put in a bottle of concentrated apple juice - it really ups the "appleyness" :)

Not as good as the real thing ....but good

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I suppose I could use "store bought" scrumpy for the starter??

Cheers

I can't see why not...never done it that way, but why wouldn't it work? So long as its a nice tasty appley cider, it should be good.

I believe Reskinov plans to try the miniature I sent him over the weekend so if you never hear from him again......

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
a-c - you can do whatever works for you :) If you ferment the fruit juice wou will get the turbo cider mentioned in earlier posts. If you leave it unfermented and infuse it, then cut with spirits, you will get a drink more akin to the American "Apple Pie" moonshine

georann

Feb 13, 2010
Warwickshire
www.slice-of-fire.co.uk
Yea if you use 50/50 juice to water, add some sugar and some cider yeast you can brew turbocider, or buy a cider brew kit in a can (basically a can of super concentrated apple with the yeast and a special sachet of stuff included). They sell brew cans (and all the equipment) in Wilkinsons iirc as well as online.
ATB
Dan

mudgutz

Jan 26, 2013
Staffordshire moorlands.
Cool how too Red but I dont think I will be making this after only getting 1 apple off my two trees last year.:( The year before they had so many on the branch's were almost touching the floor.

BTW how is dry cider made? is it the type of apples used? I can drink that OK but the sweet stuff doesn't do it for me after an unfortunate incident in my youth involving 2 bottles of woodpecker and a straw:stretcher::eek:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Its down to the variety of apples and the length of time fermented. Most true cider apples will ferment out dry unless sugar is added :)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
No worries - you need to look at Stovies thread for the real deal - I am just small scale - wine, beer and mead is my forte

This is the real deal

DSCF1773.jpg

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80194

mudgutz

Jan 26, 2013
Staffordshire moorlands.
That's a beast of a press!!! Cool thread, cheers for the link.

I used to make beer and wine myself 20 odd years ago and hope to get back into it when I find the time. I always used water from a spring in the village near me, crisp, cool and fresh but I noticed last time I passed it there's now a big sign saying ''DO NOT DRINK'' and something about a chance of salmonella? Any way Ill take my chance's as it made the drinks so much better than tap water.

Take it easy.Dave.:)

nickliv

Settler
Oct 2, 2009
Aberdeenshire
I made 40 pints of turbo for new years eve. 20 litres of apple juice, juice of 3 lemons, and a kilo of brewing sugar just to be on the safe (dangerous) side. Add 1 sachet of cider yeast and away it bubbled happily for 10 days, and then. Disaster.

It was so dry it turned your face inside out, and Id rather overdone the lemon juice.

2 jars honey and 2 tbsp of bicarb later and it was pronounced to be a resounding success.

I may have had a teeny little bit of a hangover the following day, but I could at least walk further than the bathroom by about 4pm.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE