A recipe for "Sui-Cider" - one for Stovie!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Given a warm damp Winter the apples weren't keeping as well as they normally do and some were going a bit soft...so in the way shown in previous tutorials, we juiced a load and fermented the juice using the natural yeast

Suicider Base by British Red, on Flickr

We made up about five gallons. I bottled three gallons, but decided to re-visit my youth with the other couple of gallons and make up some "sui-cider". Its a drink that exists in many forms around the globe. The Devon version is made from farmhouse Applejack and cider (hard cider to the Americans). The Americans make something similar called "Apple Pie" using moonshine and apple juice, the French use Calvados. Either way - its a fortified apple drink.

So a couple of gallon demijohns of cider were set aside and fermented flat

Settling Cider by British Red, on Flickr

The yeast and apple dregs were settled out

Sediment by British Red, on Flickr

The cider was then racked off (a different meaning in Australia to the brewing term I think)

Racking Off by British Red, on Flickr

This process is repeated until a clear, flat cider is obtained - this is run though a filter

Filtering Cider by British Red, on Flickr

This cider is infused with eight cinnamon sticks, three vanilla pods and about a litre of demerara sugar

Sugar & Spice by British Red, on Flickr

The cider is added to these flavours in a very large stock pot

Cider in Mix by British Red, on Flickr

Stir the mix cold to dissolve the sugar.

Now cover the pan and bring to the boil

Boiled Cider by British Red, on Flickr

Once the pan has boiled, leave the mixture to cool. Keep the lid on whilst heating and cooling - or the alcohol disappears in steam!

Once cool add a litre (or a quart) of very high proof spirit. Preferably apple based and at least 80% alcohol by volume (150 proof). Now if you can't get 80% spirits, you can use a standard flavourless vodka (40%) - but you will need two litres. I also find you need to add some concentrated apple juice to get close to the apple jack taste.

Line a funnel with three layers of muslin and bottle - you should get about ten litres.

Bottled Suicider by British Red, on Flickr

So why "Sui-cider"? Well, this stuff, served cool is light, tangy, appley sweet. You can see why the Americans call their version "Apple Pie". It slips down a treat. The temptation is to knock it back in pint mugs. Don't. A pint of this stuff has nearly the same amount of alcohol as a bottle of wine. Knock a couple of pints back quickly on a hot day....its time for an early bath!

Drunk sensibly though, it brings a new appreciation of home made apple based hooch!

Red

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I am inordinately fond of Cider, however I didn't get anything like a sufficient crop off my apple tree to even make apple pie :(

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
It was a poor year - and you do need "real" cider for this - Strongbow is not going to taste nice!

The real thing though is gorgeous...but you do have to be disciplined becasue it doesn't taste strong :)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Ahhh gotcha. I think the postage may be prohibitive :) Those Grolsch bottles you see are the 1.5 litre size!

I have sent abominable scouse monster a sample of "Scumble"...thats one heck of a lot stronger though and a very different taste...still appley though!

I reckon I could manage a smaple size for Reskinov though

Last edited:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Mmm needs to be pleasantly chilled, not cold ...like fruit juice :)

I've knocked a little "tester" up for Reskinov - so he can give an unbiased opinion. Only posted it because I don't recall ever seeing anyone talk about it on here - but loads of people like sloe gin. blackberry brandy and mead etc. so I thought another country based drink might interest people.

Do watch it though...extreme examples are half the strength of neat spirits....so pints really aren't advised!

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
Well that was a nice tipple, sweet and Fruity (not at all sickly) yet packs a bang behind it. I had about 4 double measures (two with ice) and I have to say it left a pleasant after taste.

Good job Red, that was a seriously nice drop.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
No worries - its still a process to get the taste exactly right - not just throat burning spirit :)

The suicider is (if I do say so myself) spot on this time. I'm going to hang onto to most of this for when I see my buddy's son next who only really drinks cider - he's about the age of my lass and just finished his third active duty tour in two years - so he has earned a treat in my book!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE