A really interesting article about the crooked knife.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JJJ

Tenderfoot
Nov 22, 2008
cumbria
Be careful of this article, where the author writes

(1) Anneal the file to soften the steel so that it can be worked. This is done by heating it to a cherry red color (about 1250 degrees F) and quenching it in water. A propane torch will generate enough heat.

He is doing the opposite. The result will be an extremely hard brittle file. It will be almost impossible to shape and if dropped, it is likely to break.
To anneal, heat it to cherry, then let it cool as slowly as possible. Traditionally it would be put in ash to do so, today Vermiculite is great.

I am sorry to also suggest that the origin of this knife is also one of the Internet myths, oft repeated and now in danger of becoming fact.I came across this thread,not through this forum but on Google trying to find evidence that these tools were common in Europe hundreds of years earlier . So far ,I have not found much on the Internet. Yet as a woodworker with an interest in old tools , I can remember seeing them in books showing there use long before steel went to America They were hollowing tools, that they might of been replaced with Gouges as production improved and prices went down, much like Axes replacing Billhooks.
m.f.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Be careful of this article, where the author writes

(1) Anneal the file to soften the steel so that it can be worked. This is done by heating it to a cherry red color (about 1250 degrees F) and quenching it in water. A propane torch will generate enough heat.

He is doing the opposite. The result will be an extremely hard brittle file. It will be almost impossible to shape and if dropped, it is likely to break.
To anneal, heat it to cherry, then let it cool as slowly as possible. Traditionally it would be put in ash to do so, today Vermiculite is great.
m.f.

That piece caught my eye as well - thank you for posting a clearer sequence of events.

Ogri the trog

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
Thanks southey, that's a great read. I'm anxious to get the blade that jojo is making for me so any and all info about crooked knives is very welcome:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE