A REAL SHAME - SCOTTISH CRANNOG CENTRE

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Seems the crannog centre on Loch Tay is gone; https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/new...2302834/huge-fire-at-scottish-crannog-centre/

Last edited by a moderator:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I visited it before it was finished, I worked there for months at a time over several years. This is just one of those incredibly sad events that hit hard.

I know the people who laboured to build it, who literally sweated blood and tears and exhaustion to make it a reality.

I don't know how it happened. Fire control was incredibly careful, it was alarmed, it had care and event protocols in place and the staff were well trained and constantly alert to any such issue.

Well, it's in the stratigraphy now. It's going to be a classic example of what happens to the structure when it's burnt down. It'll show as the most horrendously destructive experimental archaeology.
They'll get data from it with good provenance and clear interpretation. By the looks of it there'll be film of the way it took hold too.

Lot of folks going to be upset; lot of folks going to really miss it.

Will they rebuild ? There'll be no shortage of volunteers.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
A disaster!
I work at Castell Henllys Iron Age Fort in Pembrokeshire - the Welsh equivalent of the Crannog Center - and know how this is going to hurt the folk who work at the Crannog.
A true disaster.

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Very sad to read, loved the place, first met M (Toddy) there :cool:

I’m guessing it’s just gone the way a few crannogs went?

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
What a absolute tragedy, all that love and work gone. Its going to be hard to tell the wife as we visited it on the last family holiday with all three boys and we have especially treasured memories of it.

I hope they are able to rebuild it, not on the exact same spot of course, Mary makes a excellent point about its use for study. People won't be the problem, I just hope they can get serious funding.

All the very best to those involved.

Tom

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Oh!

I visited a couple of years ago. a Great shame.

But, as Toddy said; also a good destructive experiment. Im sure they will get some data out of this unexpected event.

Im going to email and see if they need any help. (Seeing as Stonehenge turned me down for Experimental archaeology)

tyfy

Forager
Nov 4, 2006
Peebles, Scotland
I just heard about this on the radio and having visited it a few years ago I can't quite believe its gone.

I had been thinking about it recently and was considering a visit in the near future but I will now be keeping an eye out for any information about donating or volunteering.

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
Reactions: tyfy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE