a question to the bowyers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Loenja

Settler
Apr 27, 2008
forest row
ive just started on my third bow.

its an oak self/possibly silk backed backed job,

i have this question, could i split it again and get a second bow out of it or should i stick with making one out of it?
and was it correct to take the sapwood off?

DSC_7247-1.jpg

DSC_7250-2.jpg

What is the second photo showing?
It's hard to tell from the photo. Maybe you could split it again but I think not. That will give you more wiggle room making the bow. Also, why did you take the sapwood? With the small diameter of the stave it might have been better to work the outer portion. What type of bow? Length, etc.?

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
With Oak you can remove the bark and use the pristine sap-wood underneath for the back of the bow. You would have had some crown but as your wood looks like it is about 5 inches diameter it would probably have been OK.

It's hard to see from your picture of the end rings but I would chase the first complete good ring and try for an un-backed self bow. The rings look mildly ovoid in shape just below what looks like a big growth portion at the top of the pic?

Other than that you could clean the split up if it's not too bad and use that as the back and go for a backwards bow?

I would choose a Mere Heath design, 68" nock to nock, 2" at the fades running parallel to about two thirds of the limb then tapering to half inch pin nocks.

Steve.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE