a question regarding off meat

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
Not sure if this is the right section its grub related but not lovely....

So working on the principle of boiling water makes it free of bugs for consumption, if for example you were in a survival situation and came across a rotten corpse (roadkill, half eaten prey etc) in theory if you boiled it (for a specific length of time) would it become edible?

I kind of think it does (as curries where invented to hide rancid meat) but basically is there anything else harmful to you other than bugs by practicing this i am guessing if it renders it safe the only reason it isnt done often is due to the flavour ?

anyone got any facts on this could you stew up maggot ridden meat and render it edible in the sense you would not get ill from eating it?

The Ratcatcher

Apr 3, 2011
Manchester, UK
The Rhodesian Army supplied troops on survival courses with a well rotted monkey and curry powder for at least one meal, and apparently didn't loose anybody.

It's worth remembering that game is traditionally hung for a couple of weeks to allow the decomposition process to tenderise the meat. Some people actually like pheasant that has been hung for as long as four weeks. (I prefer my wild food freshly killed.)

Alan

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
It is old practice to let hung hares become maggot ridden. Maggots will only eat off (rotton) meat. A good chef new when to brush the maggots off and prepare the meat.
I wouldn't eat maggot riddled meat from roadkill myself as there is more risk of cross contaminantion from the puddings and if the maggots are in the meat as opposed to on the meat , then definate no.

Sent from my HTC Explorer using Tapatalk

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I'm not sure how nutritious it would be after boiling for that long. It would certainly kill off most of the bugs (& after all, game meat is hung which is essentially rotten). From what I've read online, it's probably safe but you might get "2-bucket disease" (one for each end). Try it and report back!

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
hmm been googling about and some places suggest that although the bacteria are killed the toxins they can produce are not one such one that has sprung up is cadaverine so it may not be so straight forward as i thought

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Interesting question. Meat is usually only 'off' in the sense that bacteria start growing on it, which changes the flavour, texture and smell. If you boil it long enough, you should kill off all of the bacteria, so the meat should be edible, even if the flavour is poor and the nutritional value reduced.

However
, the other problem with bacterial growth is the chemicals that they excrete as waste products of their own metabolism. These may be toxic to humans and may not be affected at all by boiling, so even after boiling the meat may be unsafe to eat. Depends on the bacteria and the toxins concerned. The longer you boil, the greater the change of rendering it safe, but the poorer the value of what you end up with.

On the whole, I'd say the advice to eat the maggots would be the better option (seriously), although it would depend on how 'far gone' the meat was. Curries traditionally use meat that is starting to go off, but hasn't degraded too much, so any bacterial toxins would be at low levels.

If you are desperate, you may as well try it, but to be honest a rat pack is probably a better option :)

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
also you have to consider why it was dead in the first place, maybe not just because it was run over, maybe because it was slower due to disease, i know badgers have TB, which is why they are culled in areas from time to time....

in principle, yes if i had to i would eat it, if your in that much need of rotten meat a bad belly wont worry you too much....:rolleyes:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
There are times I'm incredibly glad I'm vegetarian :D

I understood that it's not so much the meat decaying that's the issue but the toxins that the decay vectors produce, 'and' whether or not the decay vectors are influenced by disease, and the personal hygiene involved in both the butchery and the cooking.
i.e. if you got your hands full of rotten stuff, cooked your dinner, then used your hands to eat the dinner without cleaning them thoroughly, in effect you're re-contaminating the meat.......that you've just cooked to kill of the contaminants, iimmc.

I think it would have to come down to how desperate are you to eat the rotten meat vs how would you cope should you end up with a bad dose of galloping diarrhoea.

cheers,
Toddy

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Meat has a problem. Botulinum. Botulinum is not killed off by boiling - which cannot reach a temperature of above 100C in an open vessel. Its the reason that I pressure can meat to store it at ambient temperature - kill the botulism micro organism and prevent re-infection - pressure canning uses heated steam which attains a temperature higher than boiling.

So definitively, boiling will not always render meat safe.

Red

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
How does drying and smoking affect rotten meat ? Does that make it safe to eat ?

I'm curious now, more just for information tbh.

cheers,
M

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
There are many ways and types of inhibiting bacterial action. Bacteria generally require moisture, warmth and a hospitable environment.

Drying meat will inhibit bacterial degredation. Think the desicated corpeses found in deserts.

Lowering the temperature sufficiently ihibits it too. Oetzi the ice man.

Certain chemicals are inimical to bacteria - peat preserved corpses (also due to the lack of air). One of the commonest used on foodstuffs is salt but lye has been used on fish and alcohol has been used too (think Nelsons corpse)

Smoking alone has little preservative benefit (although a smoke coated meat has a slightly ant microbial coating). Most commercially smoked meats are salted first. Cool smoking can act as a drying process of course.

Heat also works (canning) as does pickling (the acid is the preservative - think pickled herring)

Bear in mind though that preserving meat is best done from fresh. As mentioned previously, certain bacteria produce chemical toxins that are not affected by preservative techniques.

I really must write "the science of food preservation" at some point. There are few accesible books for the home user that cover all the techniques and describe the adequately.

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Freezing generally puts bacteria into suspended animation. It prevents them reproducing or spoiling meat but does not kill them.

Interestingly though, it is a useful storage technique as it kills the larvae of many insects found in food (e.g. rice or flour). All flour contains weevils. Freezing it for 72 hours kills the larvae.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
A book such as that would be an interesting read BR :D

I routinely do a freeze/thaw repeat freeze/thaw on cornmeal after once opening the sealed box and finding it moving with wee black beasties :yuck: Pease brose too, though those were tiny wee creamy coloured weevils. I'm pretty sure they didn't get infested in my house, especially in fresh washed air tight boxes, I reckon they came in with the eggs in the meal :sigh:

It's not posh food, but potted hough was traditionally sealed with a layer of fat over the boiled, shredded, peppered and jellied meat. I know that lasts safely for a very long time.

cheers,
M

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
Think the desicated corpeses found in deserts.... Oetzi the ice man.... peat preserved corpses.... think Nelsons corpse
:confused:

I am starting to wonder if the flesh eating zombies of the apocalypse are already among us!:yikes: Now where's that kukhri?...

Z;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE