A question for those who handle their own knives

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
Okay,

I have started to plan my next build and I am looking for something more than a simple handle material. I have been looking at using either horn or bone but I want to know from those with experience how easy it is to cut with something such as a jigsaw.

I do not have access to a band saw or anything like that and other than using a coping saw or hack saw all I have at my disposal is a jig saw.

Is bone or horn prone to splintering when cutting and how easy would it be to work?

Thanks in advance

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
i've never tried sawing bone but i have filed it. it's slow, hard work that kicks out masses of potentially quite dangerous dust, however you decide to go about it i think you're best off wearing a dust mask.

as for splintering, i've never had a problem with splintering when i've worked bone in the past

HTH

stuart

Silverclaws

Forager
Jul 23, 2009
Plymouth, Devon
Bone stinks when it is being cut, the smell is unbelievable and if you think, it reminds you of the dentist, but cutting is easy with a saw, I used to get bleached dog bones and cut them up to make bone needles for sale at living history faires. Horn also stinks when it is being cut but if you think, it is basically what your nails and hair are made from, think burning hair.

However, I have not experienced any problems with cutting the materials with hand tools as long as one selects the right cutting tools for the material in hand, remember thickness of sections and match the number of teeth in contact to suit.

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
dont forget,.you can always "form" horn with steam too if its not the right sort of shape,...

i,m sure one of the members here whos into walking stick making would be able to advise the best technique

mereside

Nomad
Aug 21, 2010
hornsea
on my first build i made the fatal mistake of under drilling my hole size slightly on my buffallo horn scales my thinking was it would hold the scales tight when the pins went in and oops they cracked i was gutted. as others have said what a stink so you will offend the wife when you go back in the house smelling of burning horn/ antler. good luck with your knife and show pics ,atb wayne

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
Sorry I forgot to add it will be full tang. I am mainly concerned about the profile cutting of the scale with a jigsaw.

Firefly1

Jun 20, 2012
North Wales
Hi Guy's
Oh how i want to post on this as the humour of ambiguity on this topic could be a thread on its own,I'm ok now just thought of Ann widdlecome in black suzzy's and that stopped all ambigous thought.

Thank god that happend as i promised the Mods(Gods) not to let my thoughs free rein.

Firefly1:lmao:

mikew

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 25, 2005
West Yorkshire
Sorry I forgot to add it will be full tang. I am mainly concerned about the profile cutting of the scale with a jigsaw.

I would avoid using a jigsaw on bone, a coping/fret saw is much easier to control. Where a good mask as bone dust is not the most pleasant thing to get up your nose!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE