A Question for the Swedes.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
Where is a good place to buy a good quality axe ( GB, Hultafor, Wetterlings or Husqarvarna ) in the Varberg area? I wasn't able to bring my axe from home, but I was able to get my camping gear, and with the weather starting to turn I'll be wanting a fire.

Cheers, Michael.

Hi Micheal hope you are still enjoying your stay in Sweden. Hope I'm slowed to comment as a non-swede!
"Naturkompaniet" is a chain of outdoor stores owned by Fjällräven. Don't know if you have one near by, but they are in most large Swedish towns. They usually stock GB axes, not the cheapest place to buy though. Maybe you could buy direct from GB?
I'm sure a real Swede will be along soon to tell you a better place.
PS. You could take over an axe in your hold luggage. Cheers

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
Hi Micheal hope you are still enjoying your stay in Sweden. Hope I'm slowed to comment as a non-swede!
"Naturkompaniet" is a chain of outdoor stores owned by Fjällräven. Don't know if you have one near by, but they are in most large Swedish towns. They usually stock GB axes, not the cheapest place to buy though. Maybe you could buy direct from GB?
I'm sure a real Swede will be along soon to tell you a better place.
PS. You could take over an axe in your hold luggage. Cheers

I was actually in Naturkompaniet in Gothenburg today picking up a pair of Lundhags that I'd ordered. When I looked at the axes my eyes nearly popped out of my head when I saw the prices. I could have got my Lundhags cheaper in the UK too, but I don't buy footwear mail order.
I've just spent a couple of days in the UK, my wife and kids met me from Prestwick airport and we stayed up in Ayrshire. She brought me my hammock, tarp, underblanket, quilt and a few other bits and bobs, but she refuses to go into my shed for my axe, which is where I keep my sharps so that the kids can't get at them. She's only exaggerating slightly when she says that she'd have to leave a trail of breadcrumbs behind herself.

I would order from Get Out since they are cheap and ship for just 29 Sek. Or why not go down to their fair now in october and buy it there.

Thanks for that Viking, I'll have a look at their website. Where is the fair held?

Cheers, Michael.

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
Thanks for that Viking, I'll have a look at their website. Where is the fair held?

Cheers, Michael.

More inland in a small village called Bodafors and it has swedens largest outdoor shop, I have been to their spring fairs wich is really great and a lot of fun. This year is the first time they do an autumn one and is smaller. But no entrace fee´s or need to pay for the talks and so on wich is good.

You should not miss the spring one since you can paddle wood and canvas canoe then and talk with makers of them and so on.

I was actually in Naturkompaniet in Gothenburg today picking up a pair of Lundhags that I'd ordered. When I looked at the axes my eyes nearly popped out of my head when I saw the prices. I could have got my Lundhags cheaper in the UK too, but I don't buy footwear mail order.
I've just spent a couple of days in the UK, my wife and kids met me from Prestwick airport and we stayed up in Ayrshire. She brought me my hammock, tarp, underblanket, quilt and a few other bits and bobs, but she refuses to go into my shed for my axe, which is where I keep my sharps so that the kids can't get at them. She's only exaggerating slightly when she says that she'd have to leave a trail of breadcrumbs behind herself.

Cheers, Michael.

Yes prices aren't great, but that's partly 25% VAT, and being on the high street for you too. Found this place near you which GB site says stocks them...

Granngården Varberg
Fläktstigen 1
432 31 Varberg
Tfn: 0340-66 43 00
Fax: 0340-66 43 07
How are you getting on with the Lundhags? Always fancied some myself.

More inland in a small village called Bodafors and it has swedens largest outdoor shop, I have been to their spring fairs wich is really great and a lot of fun. This year is the first time they do an autumn one and is smaller. But no entrace fee´s or need to pay for the talks and so on wich is good.

You should not miss the spring one since you can paddle wood and canvas canoe then and talk with makers of them and so on.

Wow that sounds really good, would love to go one year! What's the name of the fair, and large outdoor shop please?
David

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
You should not miss the spring one since you can paddle wood and canvas canoe then and talk with makers of them and so on.[/QUOTE]

I've always liked the look of wood canvas canoes, but as I've got nowhere to store a canoe indoors, and all of the rivers near my home are shallow and rocky, I'll have to stick with my plastic canoes. Saying that though, both of my canoes are very aesthetically shaped and a good colour ( green, which everyone knows is the fastest colour too ).

How are you getting on with the Lundhags? Always fancied some myself.

I can't comment on the Lundhags, as I've only worn them in my cell ( sorry, I mean cabin ) and walking down to the canteen. Very comfortable out of the box though, with reasonably supple leather. I went for the "Park", because they use the Optifit last which is broader than the nomal one. Penrith Survival have them in the UK.

Cheers, Michael.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Hello, granngården as DavidJT suggests is a great place for most stuff. They're a farmers store and have a lot to offer. From hunting stuff to sheep turners. They should have the gränsfors axes or at least other good axes. I have bought a lot of stuff from that particular store. I however doubt that you will be needing an axe (here at least).

The store is located in an industrial area of the town, you should be able to find it on eniro.se

Get out is a good place too, but a bit from varberg.

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
I've paid a visit to Granngården and bought the cheapest hatchet they had. I was very tempted by the GB Wildlife Hatchet, but at a similar size to the Cegga that I've got at home I couldn't justify it.
I've now got to try and borrow a file off one of the fitters now so that I can put a decent edge on my cheapo hatchet.

Cheers, Michael.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE