A question for the audiophiles.

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
I want to connect my Ipad to a pair of speakers, the ipad has a mini jack and the speakers (active type) have XLR inputs. What are my options?

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
I think you will find that this is one of those points where choosing an Apple product proves expensive. I believe that they put an extra component into apple branded audio adapters and the ipad won't work with it unless it detects that component.
I made up a lead to plug an XLR mic into my Samsung phone and allow headphone monitoring at the same time. The cost was about £3.00 and was very straightforward. The same job for an iPhone would have set me back more than £80.

People have managed to spoof the iPhone but straightforward it is not.

Z

knifefan

Nov 11, 2008
Lincolnshire
Another way is to buy a bluetooth speaker there are lots to choose. If you have a decent hifi you can get a blue tooth reciever to play straight through the hifi. Ive got the latter and play both my phone and laptop via the dongle. Sound quality is very accepable. The bluetooth recievers go fro 28 quid plus. Loads on amazon :) :)

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...I think you will find that this is one of those points where choosing an Apple product proves expensive. I believe that they put an extra component into apple branded audio adapters and the ipad won't work with it unless it detects that component..."

No, it is just a 3.5 mm stereo output, same as a walkman might have.

To the OP, do you solder? Do you want to make up your own cables?

The XLR input on the active speaker may be 'balanced' or simply one channel of a stereo input, either way you can make a suitable cable or have one made for you at your local hi-fi shop/music shop, just tell them what you need it for and let them know which brand and speaker model you are using.

:)

Last edited:

Silkhi

Forager
Mar 28, 2015
N Yorks
iTunes eww, get a decent FLAC converter for it - at least they are available now. Nearly all MP3 and "audiophile" don't go together, Apple lossless ain't that great either. Just get something reasonable or you won't benefit from it - for example Bose/B&W cheaper stuff. I use my Mac with a Naim MuSo and that's dreamy but expensive. Suspect anything Blutooth or Airplay will be much better than a jack. Don't get suckered in by anything by Beats - laughable quality unless you like over produced X-Factor cack.

If not totally off topic and you want portable/lightweight/camping those little ceramic ball type speakers are amazing for the price (£20 or so now i think for the good uns) - best to have a couple though

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE