A question for Seagull

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
Please, please, please - can you tell me how you made the attachment toggle in this pic http://www.bushcraftuk.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=2305&cat=all ? I'm equally fascinated and befuddled by it! :confused:

Yes , sure.
This one is a shade under 4 inches long and made from insulated flex.

You'll just need:
4 lengths of flex at 22 inches long; some thread or light stuff for temporary seizings; some sort of round-ish pricker or small marlinspike.

Seize all 4 strands about 7 or 8 inches from an end and start with a Wall knot.
Top the Wall with a Crown knot. Now, you need to "double " it all , by following right around the structure, with each leg,,,,,,,ie taking each leg of the Crown, you follow it down(and below ) and around the Wall that you first made. Having done that with all 4 legs, you then double the crown, and do it by followingoutsidethe lead of the Crown that you already made.

This,ll leave you with a doubled knot, but to finish it, you need now, to sink each leg into the structure, and you must do this before you start working the whole structure tight back, against the seizing........The simplest way to sink the ends, is to dip each one under the two leads of Wall knot which lie immediately below. Properly done, this will bring out the bitter ends to lay close along the core.

Initially with fingers then progressing to the spike,now work the whole thing bit by bit, forming it as you go, until it is symmetrically formed and hard as rock.......you'll maybe find that the seizing is now hidden by the structure, but if it ai,nt, well, you can snip off the short ends closely.

There, you've got a Manrope knot! in one end; now its just a case of seizing off where you need the Matt Walker to start,,,,then make your MW in the usual way and haul it tight back toward the seizing as best you can.

Finally, make another Manrope knot in the other end........

Just give me a shout if you need further help

Ceeg

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I was wondering how you made it too Ceeg :) - hopefully I'llbe able to follow your instructions (once i've worked out how to tie the nots in the first place! :lmao: :eek:

I don't suppose we could presuade you to do a photo tutorial could we..... after all they say a picture is worth a thousand words, which I guess means a tutorial is worth a novel:D

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Thanks Seagull,

I'd got the ends figured as a sort of Turks Head/Crown Knot/Monkey's Fist 'things' but I hadn't come up against the Matthew Walker Knot before. :notworthy
Going to have to have a play sometime soon! :cool:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE