A question for Fishfish.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Hope you don't mind me asking mate, but when you do your glass engraving, what tools do you use? If it's a Dremel type rotary tool, what tool do you actually use that cuts into glass so well? I've never tried this but would like to.

Thanks

Eric

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
hello mate,i use the diamond burrs and a dremmel,theres many different burrs ,just experiment with them to see what does what!

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
Excellent, thanks for that. Do you have to support or prepare the glass in any way?

Eric

no just hold it in my hand,it needs very little pressure,it helpes to insert a black sok or the like inside the glass so as to see what yer doing easier.dont forget the dust is nasty!

heres one that i did today,pictured is a hare coursing theme.
newcamera1003-1.jpg

newcamera1002-1.jpg

newcamera1001-1.jpg

ForgeCorvus

Nomad
Oct 27, 2007
norfolk
My cousin is a glass cutter, lead crystal mostly.

They mark out the pattern using chinagraph pencils......on the first dozen anyway, after that they've 'got their eye in' and they just free hand.

Red seems to show up best, wipe down with solvents to get any extra off (white spirit or what have you)

Toots

Aug 22, 2005
Sutton in Craven, North Yorkshire
Never tried it but seen people do it using the intended design on a piece of paper and sticking it to the inside of the glass. Bit like tracing then I suppose. Some will call it cheating, others resource initiative!

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
Never tried it but seen people do it using the intended design on a piece of paper and sticking it to the inside of the glass. Bit like tracing then I suppose. Some will call it cheating, others resource initiative!

problem being with that is the thicknes of the glass,best to use aone eye only when doing it that way.try it youl see what i mean!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE