A question for any Leather Crafters.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ibeef

Forager
Jun 3, 2013
Swadlincote
Hi all,

For my second attempt at a sheath I want to try for a horizontal carry for my UKPK. I've got something like this in mind:

SMF%20belt%20sheath,%20v%26h,%20black%201.png

My question is how to you get it to form around the blade? Do you size out the bottom piece then cut out a bigger piece for the top and wet form it down around the edges?

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Warm water wetforming I would guess. Although I'm no leather pro I had a quick play with a buck sheath using warm tap water and a hair dryer.

You'll have to wait for one of the masters to chip in for advice on how to get it as good as the one you've shown! :D

ibeef

Forager
Jun 3, 2013
Swadlincote
Warm water wetforming I would guess. Although I'm no leather pro I had a quick play with a buck sheath using warm tap water and a hair dryer.

You'll have to wait for one of the masters to chip in for advice on how to get it as good as the one you've shown! :D

I very much doubt it'll look as good as the one shown :p I just wanted to know the basic technique. Hopefully it won't offended the senses too much though by the time I'm done with it.

Thanks for the tips :)

Last edited:

reedx

Tenderfoot
Apr 12, 2012
Durham
www.REEDX.net
Have a look at Ian Atkinson's superb video on making a sheath for Spyderco friction folder

[video=youtube;SIOGDykXJFQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIOGDykXJFQ[/video]

Colin

ibeef

Forager
Jun 3, 2013
Swadlincote
Have a look at Ian Atkinson's superb video on making a sheath for Spyderco friction folder

[video=youtube;SIOGDykXJFQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIOGDykXJFQ[/video]

Colin

This is what i've been looking for :)

Thank you :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Black Sheep

Native
Jun 28, 2007
North Yorkshire
photobucket.com
Hi all,

For my second attempt at a sheath I want to try for a horizontal carry for my UKPK. I've got something like this in mind:

SMF%20belt%20sheath,%20v%26h,%20black%201.png

My question is how to you get it to form around the blade? Do you size out the bottom piece then cut out a bigger piece for the top and wet form it down around the edges?

To mould it like the above sheath you would need some Veg Tanned leather (probably 2mm thick) soaked in warm water until supple. Then I'd mould it to the shape with a knife on a flat board using my fingers and a ball ended tool to get the sharp details (clay modeling tools are good;)) and leave it to dry naturally. If you use a hair dryer etc' to force dry the leather it will harden and possibly shrink .

Once dry I'd cut it to shape, make a flat back and belt loop and stitch it together.

Its worth noting that if your knife is not stainless coat the blade in Vaseline and wrap it in cling film and remove it soon after moulding - Carbon steel and wet leather don't mix. It will ruin your blade and make the leather go black.

Best thing to do is get some leather and have a play around at moulding.

Good luck

Rich

ibeef

Forager
Jun 3, 2013
Swadlincote
To mould it like the above sheath you would need some Veg Tanned leather (probably 2mm thick) soaked in warm water until supple. Then I'd mould it to the shape with a knife on a flat board using my fingers and a ball ended tool to get the sharp details (clay modeling tools are good;)) and leave it to dry naturally. If you use a hair dryer etc' to force dry the leather it will harden and possibly shrink .

Once dry I'd cut it to shape, make a flat back and belt loop and stitch it together.

Its worth noting that if your knife is not stainless coat the blade in Vaseline and wrap it in cling film and remove it soon after moulding - Carbon steel and wet leather don't mix. It will ruin your blade and make the leather go black.

Best thing to do is get some leather and have a play around at moulding.

Good luck

Rich

Thanks for the advice, I'm going to give it a good go next week. I'll look into some forming tools to make it easier :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE