a question about bamboo

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
bamboo is in my opinion one of the most useful plants i encountered on my travels and i have used various species for all sorts of things: firemaking (firesaw; because of the smoke it's NOT my preferred fuel for fires despite the fact that it burns rather hot...), shoots as food, walking poles, building material and so on... . right now is the best time to harvest if (for building) and i intend to collect some before i leave so it's nice and dried when i return in spring. especially i'm planning to make some cups from it.

unfortunately i had on several occasions in the past a niece dry piece with only one node (@the bottom) to make a container and then it cracked WITHOUT any mechanical force being applied.... (it REALLY sucks when you spend hours burning designs in with your magnifying glass and then... :puppy_dog )
has anyone encountered this problem as well and is there a trick to prevent it?!

THANKS!

S.C.M.

Nomad
Jul 4, 2012
Algarve, Portugal
where did it crack? the side or the node? and when did it crack? before or after you used it? (I have no idea what the problem might be or how it could be fixed, but the lack of info means someone who knows might not be able to tell you)

jimfbte

Tenderfoot
Dec 11, 2005
Hawaii, US
stuckinthewoods.info
I've use the following technique with some success, but I cannot guarantee that it would work for you.

My theory is that green bamboo shrinks as it dries which results in structural stress and cracks.

What I do is to place the bamboo into my freezer unwrapped and leave it there for a few months. The water in the bamboo freezes which locks the fibres on place. Then the ice slowly sublimates out of the bamboo leaving a dry, unshrunken stalk. Much like the freezer-burn that leaves meat dehydrated when uncovered.

Hope this helps.

Jim

My theory is that green bamboo shrinks as it dries which results in structural stress and cracks.

that could explain things...

sadly i do not have a freezer in my backpack (semi-nomadic lifestyle...) and my friends freezer is too small- so i guess for now i'll just cut some extra blanks to dry out until i return in spring and hope enough have survived to make a set of cups...

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Again, I have no experience to offer but could it be drying out too quickly because it is open?

I'm just thinking that long poles don't seem to crack much when they dry out. At least I presume not because I can buy them like that at the garden centre.

Might it be worth leaving it as a pole to dry out and then reducing it to the size you want when it has seasoned?

I'm probably missing something obvious but it's an interesting problem.

Crowe

Nomad
Jan 18, 2008
Noewich. Now living in Limosin France
I have noticed bamboo cracks on the open side of a node. Perhaps you could try cutting with nodes on each end and leaving the piece of bamboo until it seasons according to where ( the type of climate/ humidity) you are going to use it. This would apply particularly to green bamboo.
crowe

I have noticed bamboo cracks on the open side of a node. Perhaps you could try cutting with nodes on each end and leaving the piece of bamboo until it seasons according to where ( the type of climate/ humidity) you are going to use it. This would apply particularly to green bamboo.
crowe

i would have thought it would crack easier with two or more nodes as the air/moisture cannot freely ""escape"" but i7ll give that a try- see what happens...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE