A Question about a Leg Ulcer.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 21, 2015
Durham
Well I did more research on the sugar, esescially something called 'Sugardyne' which is 75% plain Granulated sugar and 25% cooking oil. allegedly gives amazing results.....they pointed out, change daily..so that's what I am doing.

The results from last night are that I had very little pain at all during night... which was great I can tell you! Later today I will change dressing and see what it looks like..

A Huge thanks to all that have shown concern....it feels good to know that there are others that care!

Martyn

Jun 13, 2010
North Wales
I'm a nurse but not a tissue viability expert. Be insistent for a referral to tissue viability nurses, get a Doppler to identify circulation issues (sounds like it given that you've had an ulcer there before).

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
Tea Tree oil (neat not diluted) was apparently issued to Aussie troops in Burma during WW2 to deal with jungle sores /?ulcers.

Might be worth checking out?

Feb 21, 2015
Durham
Tea Tree oil (neat not diluted) was apparently issued to Aussie troops in Burma during WW2 to deal with jungle sores /?ulcers.

Might be worth checking out?

I am going to stick with the Sugar for a fortnight and see the difference it makes....it actually was pretty amazing this morning....there is new tissue granulation starting that was not there 12 hours earlier! and.....bonus.no pain..well, none that i would complain about, and before yesterday evening I was as grumpy as a pitbull with toothache!

If the mods allow me to, when the progress gets better i will post a few pics up, im taking pictures daily, have always done that....so as to track progress.

cheers

Martyn

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Consider yourself hugged :D
I've just been reading up on that electic pulse device thingie, and see if it works ? I will be one incredibly happy lady.
How the hang do I get onto their trial though; it's in America.
Rheumatoid arthritis is a blight of a thing to thole.

M

It was found by accident on lab mice. Glaxo are investing a serious amount of money in electric medicine now. It may cure all sorts of overactive/underactive body ailments like diabetes (prominent cause of ulcers) altsimers etc. And there is no drug testing period with electric. My auntie is bent over and in a wheelchair with arthritis, so if they could revert her back to normal it would be a miracle !

Glad to here the sugars working duhram bushcrafter. I think but not sure the idea of the sugar is its already dry, and it takes the moisture out of the ulcer, so conjealed honey may be an even better shot with all of its beneficial bacteria!

feralpig

Forager
Aug 6, 2013
Mid Wales
A customer of mine had leg ulcers. They got infected, and he very nearly had to have both legs amputated. Spent a long time in hospital being pumped full of various different drugs.

He would have been mid 80s then.

He's phenomenally strong, spent his life farming and forestry, back when it was proper hard work. Drank like a fish.

This is what he told me a few years ago.

Come spring, I got hay fever, it wouldn't go away. By August, it was so bad, I went to the chemist to get something for it. The Chemist didn't know what to give me, so she called a doctor. The Doctor didn't know what to give me, so he dialled 999 and they put me in an ambulance, took me to hospital, and gave me a pacemaker.

His Heart was doing 25-30 BPM.

I'm sure he still thinks he had hayfever.

At the age of 92, after almost 10 years of leg ulcers, they disappeared.

For a almost ten years of treatment, having nearly died a few times, not one of the so called professionals that treated him, noticed his heart was bad.

Bearing in mind, this bloke was doing more work in a day in his 80s, than most people half his age. I guess they thought he was perfectly fit, compared to what they usually see.

If your fit, stick at it no matter what, work till you drop, it seems you have a hard time convincing the medics that you have a problem.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Interesting thread. I suffer bad circulation, my hands and feet are often cold, and my feet often feel a bit fuzzy and tingly in the morning. I've had two hip operations, one a bone graft, the other a replacement. This has had me off my feet, or limited my movement, for over a year.

So, the thread prompted a Google and came up with cayenne, ginger, Ginkgo biloba, and garlic as improvers of circulation.

Just ordered 3 pots of these capsules, and put my tobacco in the bin.

http://www.organicnutrition.co.uk/articles/circulation.htm

Might be worth you trying them?

Feb 21, 2015
Durham
I ginger, Ginkgo biloba, and garlic as improvers of circulation.

Thanks for that, well i eat tons of paprika, i use it a lot! same with fresh ginger..and i eat enough garlic cooked and raw to make a frenchman weep!.it even comes out of my pores...kinda stinky sometimes when im eating a lot of raw garlic....only thing i dont do is the ginko

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
It was found by accident on lab mice. Glaxo are investing a serious amount of money in electric medicine now. It may cure all sorts of overactive/underactive body ailments like diabetes (prominent cause of ulcers) altsimers etc. And there is no drug testing period with electric. My auntie is bent over and in a wheelchair with arthritis, so if they could revert her back to normal it would be a miracle !

Glad to here the sugars working duhram bushcrafter. I think but not sure the idea of the sugar is its already dry, and it takes the moisture out of the ulcer, so conjealed honey may be an even better shot with all of its beneficial bacteria!

I was listening to a radio4 science prog recently after it peaked my interest when I heard it was about the vagus nerve. My little boy suffers from reflex anoxic seizures and has done since a baby. This is also apparently caused by an over active vagus nerve.
The have been doing lots of research into the affects this nerve has and it has a massive affect on the whole body. They now think this nerve is responsible for the production of the protein that causes the inflammatory response that then causes arthiritis and other issues. They think it could be responsible for various debilitating forms of epilepsy.
It seems that the new thinking is not to treat the individual parts of the body as separate but all of them via the brain.

Fascinating stuff.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
I was listening to a radio4 science prog recently after it peaked my interest when I heard it was about the vagus nerve. My little boy suffers from reflex anoxic seizures and has done since a baby. This is also apparently caused by an over active vagus nerve.
The have been doing lots of research into the affects this nerve has and it has a massive affect on the whole body. They now think this nerve is responsible for the production of the protein that causes the inflammatory response that then causes arthiritis and other issues. They think it could be responsible for various debilitating forms of epilepsy.
It seems that the new thinking is not to treat the individual parts of the body as separate but all of them via the brain.

Fascinating stuff.
Yell I hope they can help him, after all a pacemaker was the first electrical regulator device!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hope the OP recovers soon, been through similar. Had a pacemaker fitted and a new hip all in the last couple of years. Both were delayed as I had a similar condition in that I had no skin below the knees on both legs and it had to clear before they'd risk opening me up. Lastwd about a year, had all the swabs and doppler tests but it just took a huge amount of wound management and TLC to get me right again. Could post up pictures but may put you off of your food.
Good luck with the recovery and be pushy, it's draining mentaly as well as physicaly. I had excellent care but it still took an age to sort out.

Sent via smokesignal from a woodland in Scotland.

david1

Nomad
Mar 3, 2006
sussex
I've just been reading up on that electic pulse device thingie, and see if it works ? I will be one incredibly happy lady.
How the hang do I get onto their trial though; it's in America.
Rheumatoid arthritis is a blight of a thing to thole.

M

got any links Mary, am working on something similar used on horses :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
This is the first site that I found that had something interesting to say :)
http://www.technologyreview.com/news/518511/implanted-device-controls-rheumatoid-arthritis/

There are two things here really I think.
Firstly are the TENS machines that trigger pain relief, and are well known and easily available, but the other thing that is being worked on is an electronic pulse device that actually retrains ? / adjusts? ? somehow sorts out the signals from the brain that seem to be responsible for over active immune systems…..that's Rheumatoid arthritis, Crone's disease, etc., as well as a multitude of other conditions that make life miserable for a lot of people. If the technology tones down the body's over active response then it would be an incredible blessing :)

M

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
I'm no herbalist and I can't go into my reasons for suggesting it because my iPad keeps crashing on this thread and I've written it three times!!! but I've heard that common yarrow, chewed up and spread on the wound or ulcer and left to dry and fall off on its own works well....I don't suppose it's a miracle cure but it might be worth a go or at least looking into a little more.

Hope it gets better soon :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE