A purely hypothetical situation

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Imagine this situation:

You have just spent a pleasant hours or two wandering around your local nature reserve, taking pictures and enjoying the sunshine. You return to your car, which is manual locking (this is important). You open the passenger door, and put your keys back in your coat pocket. You then place the various apples and other stuff that you have foraged from the reserve into the car, with the intention of then going back to take a few more photographs without being laden down by apples. Then, because it is the middle of the day, you feel rather warm, so you take your coat off, and put that in the car too. Then you get your camera, press the locking button down on the passenger side door, and shut the door.

Then you realise that your coat is inside the car. With the car keys in the pocket. You could call for help, if your mobile phone wasn't in the other coat pocket.

You are 10 miles from home, 15 miles from your wife, who is in work, and has the only spare car key. The driver's side car door is locked, as is the car boot. You are in a very rural location, up a side road on a quiet country lane, and the chances of meeting anyone if you stay put are very small.

What do you do?

Purely hypothetically, of course :rolleyes:

It really is amazing what you can achieve with some sticks and an old bit of barbed wire. :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I was going to say reach through and lift the "toggle" on the lock with a bit of wire or even a shoe lace. Failing that, bust a quarter light!

Barbed wire is way cooler though!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Most car windows can be carefully, with spread palms, gently worked down just enough to get a bit of wire in and over that wee button pull up......except many modern cars don't have those wee button ones anymore, mine doesn't, it's a wee straight bar.

I've done it three times for friends in the past....one managed to lock her 13month old daughter into the car :rolleyes: after having clicked her into the baby seat too.

Hypothetically I think using a bit of barbed wire would be ingenious :D

M

N

Nomad

There's barely a car made these days that has quarter lights.

My car keys always go in my trousers pocket. Aside from that, one locks with the button thing on the keys, and the other needs the key to lock it from the outside.

I do remember once, in the scouts many moons ago, encountering a chap that had locked himself out of his car, and we did something similar to open it. Not sure what impression that left him with regarding scouts...

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I managed to lock my keys in the car at the beginning of a canoe trip in Scotland once. I'd only taken the boat off the roof, opened the boot with the remote and then started putting my waterproofs on, putting my key on the parcel shelf. After getting layered up and without thinking I just dropped the tailgate locking my keys in the car.

A nice man from the AA came but he couldn't get in, the wife and spare key was six hours away and she was still in work and uncontactable for another four hours anyway. After an hour or so of pacing the car park I remembered I had some roadside assistance cover on my VW, I rang them on the off chance and a bloke turned up half an hour later, jiggled the lock with a pick type tool and the door was open in less than ten seconds. I could've hugged him, I thought I was going to have to put a brick through the window, cancel the trip and drive back home again :(

david1

Nomad
Mar 3, 2006
sussex
I cut some nice little wedges with pen knife to hold the door frame ajar to open a fiesta only last week for the guy next door.
he seemed more surprised how sharp a pocket knife could be than how quickly I had opened his locked car to retrieve his keys. some people are so fickle LOL

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
Nobody has said walk home and make a call from there.... It's only 10 miles and there are wild apples so a food source for energy.

Would get my vote, if I broke a window to get in... or actually, if I slightly scuffed the paintwork the car would be a write off, lol.
So leaving it alone for the rest of the day the only concerns would be if it's taken for scrap, or if someone decides to have a bonfire (both of which might even increase it's value?)

Then wait out at home for the keys...

and hope the jacket and keys (only things with worth - assuming house keys too) are still there when I get back

but then there is the hypothetical problem of how do I get in the house :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE