A productive couple of days

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I've been on a bit of a roll the last few days. I re-hung my axe on Wednesday evening. Thursday I walked to my local woods to collect a bow stave that I'd rescued from a brash pile where the forestry boys had cut up a fallen sycamore. Rather than lug it home I decided to axe it out there. The stave didn't split true so I had to do more axe work than I'd have liked but I got it to rough proportions. It's a bit snakey with a couple of knots that may cause me problems but we'll see. I've left it in a shady, dry spot in the woods to season some more, I'll go back and pick it up in a week or so. I was clearing up when I noticed one of the chunks of wood I'd split off. "Thats got a spoon in it" I thought, so tools out and have at it. I finished it up today.
Then last night I made a sheath for my latest knife. Now, I don't like doing leatherwork, and I'm not very good at it but this one turned out ok.

Re-hung axe
2008_0222Image0010.jpg

Sycamore spoon
2008_0222Image0016.jpg

Semi-ugly knife sheath
2008_0222Image0013.jpg

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Nice work Snufkin, nice touch to add your new avatar on the spoon, your leather work looks good to me I like the sheath.

Simon.

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Thanks folks.
Robin Wood and DoctorSpoon, thanks for the inspiration (liked your youtube vids). I came to green woodwork through bowmaking and leaving an uneven, tooled finish can be a recipe for disaster so it's been really hard to keep my hand away from the sandpaper and cabinet scrapers. I do like the tooled finish, even though it takes longer.
And yes, I designed the avatar myself, the hare is my favourite native animal. I'm in the stages of fine tuning it before I have it tatooed on!
I forgot I also made a hobo stove out of one tier of a kitchen steamer but I haven't had a chance to test that out yet.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE