A prickly question...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Sorry to lower the tone but:

What do you folks wear as kecks/shreddies/pants? I find cotton too absorbant and sweat-retentative for the job of keeping you comfortable day in day out, when out and about.

I am getting more "natural" in my choice of kit but this is one area where I have remained synthetic - I use Lowe alpine wicking undies. After having suffered from the dreaded "japanese flag" and other chafing-related infirmities, I find these with judicious application of talcum powder, do the job.

Are there any brave souls who go about in lederhosen or bearskin thongs?

PS: total respect to the "commandos" amongst you.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Cotton for non exertive trips - Paramo for sweaty days, Merino for very cold days, silk for light weight cold trips....

korvin karbon

Native
Jul 12, 2008
Fife
in my trade its called gig butt, not nice and a right pain in the ase (pun intended) when jumping in and out of vans and lories. Talcum powder is the way to go.

korvin karbon

Native
Jul 12, 2008
Fife
I've heard of a couple of guy's using unpadded cycling shorts in the tropics, they shouldn't move and therefore no chaffing.

surely the sweat would have made it hell though?

so who has links to decent sellers of good underwear that relieves or atleast slows the pain of chaffing lol

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Been told there's some 'cotton cool' trunk shorts in Debenhams,labelled as being good at wicking away and keeping you cool and dry.
Don't have any other info,need to check for self.

Big Geordie

Nomad
Jul 17, 2005
Bonny Scotland
Hi guys, its not often that we find a thread like this that can really make a difference to your comfort on a trip.
Every year I go into Rohan's sale and I buy a pack of their amazing lightweight wicking briefs. I have tried all sorts over the years but these are just right.:deal:
Loved the monkey butt video tho I probably wont buy it.:yuck:
G

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Hi guys, its not often that we find a thread like this that can really make a difference to your comfort on a trip.
Every year I go into Rohan's sale and I buy a pack of their amazing lightweight wicking briefs. I have tried all sorts over the years but these are just right.:deal:
Loved the monkey butt video tho I probably wont buy it.:yuck:
G

Didn't realise they had such G,
shop still in union st?

luddy

Oct 27, 2008
SW
Cotton jersey bloomers (I make them, so they fit well). For the sweaty butt - Sudocrem (nappy rash stuff) before you start the day. It has the consistency of PVA glue with twice the sticking power, even in the heat. The layer of cream makes your delicate bits waterproof.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE