A Paddle and BBQ on Derwentwater.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
The bad weather over Christmas meant that I didn't manage to get out and try my Christmas presents, so the dry conditions at the weekend gave me the chance to get out and try them for the first time ( apart from the whisky, that had already been sampled ).

PC250069.jpg

I met my brother in law Steve at the marina, and we quickly got the canoes on the water. Friday and Saturday had been beautiful, still days, but the wind was stronger on Sunday, and it was in our faces as we paddled past Friar's Crag towards Lord's Island.

I was using my new Northwoods Style paddle made by Edenwood Paddles at Kirkby Stephen, and very nice it was too.

P1150259.jpg

P1150260.jpg

We stopped on Lord's Island for a look about, and collected some birchbark and firewood for later, before heading towards Rampsholme Island for lunch.

P1150263.jpg

We found a sheltered, sunny spot on the island and set up my new BBQ / fire pit for it's first fire up.

P1150264-1.jpg

I boiled some water for coffee first, and then Steve and I put some burgers and sausages on.

P1150274.jpg

I used my Mastino bush shirt for the first time too, and was very impressed with it.

P1150270-1.jpg

After a pleasant lunch, we pottered over to the eastern shore, and then turned back for the marina via the southern end of St Herbert's Island.

P1150282.jpg

P1150284.jpg

As we rounded the island and turned north, the wind, which had been against us all day, was now on our backs. We made it back to the marina in record time, surfing on the swell.

P1150286.jpg

P1150287.jpg

We both had a great day out, hopefully the first of many in 2012.

Cheers, Michael.

shutz

Forager
Jan 5, 2011
cumbria
Spot on, toyed with getting the canoe out myself but the hills won great weather for it! Which marina do you launch from Nichol end? Great photos.

Bigrich

Jan 26, 2011
Malvern
Looks like a great time was had :) used the same bbq as you the weekend before when we went out in a couple os Landys and was well impressed by it :)

Thanks for posting

Rich

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Missed this one, good stuff Michael, good to see you on the water

I've not dipped a paddle since November, in fact I've done nothing but climb up hills, roll on May

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE