A night in the woods.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

s'étonner

Forager
Aug 19, 2010
Leicester, UK
Went out for a solo camp a few nights ago. I wanted to try using my tarp for just the 3rd time, and with rain forecast, I knew it would be put through its paces!

Here's some pictures of the set up I used. Not great. I did put the front down into a more protective A-shape as the rain began in the morning, but it still leaked all over me. I eventually had to head home early as I was getting so wet!

I think I needed to make it more taut, as it should surely otherwise be waterproof, being an army issue tarp? I also need to learn some knots as I currently haven't a clue! I've replaced the blue twine seen here with some paracord, which should help. I had a lot of trouble getting all of the slack out of the ridgeline, so the tarp sagged a little. Perhaps this allowed rain to collect, causing it to seep through...

IMG_1718.jpg

Here's another photo showing the setup a bit more clearly:

IMG_1719.jpg

I also had a go at cooking some salmon fillets using a method that I've seen used countless times by a certain Mr Mears! It was great to put my new Mora Companion to work, and also have a go at making some twine for the first time, using stinging nettles. Here's some shots of my dinner, which tasted fantastic:

IMG_1725.jpg

IMG_1735.jpg

IMG_1737.jpg

The twine just about held up! It wasn't really holding the stick very tightly shut though, I think I needed to make more/thicker twine in order to do a better job. It also caught fire at one point when the flames got a bit high!

Thanks for reading, I'm going to have a look around the forum for some tips on tarp set-ups/knots, but if anyone has any useful basic knots to recommend, or any other advice, that would be fantastic, as I don't fancy getting wet again!

Hope you enjoy the snaps! Cheers.

Lupin Rider

Mar 15, 2009
uk
Lots of advice on the site for erecting a tarp. Many of us use the evenk and the taut tarp knot, if you get puddles of water in a sagging tarp it will seep through eventually. Get it rigid and you'll have an easier night of it in the rain.

s'étonner

Forager
Aug 19, 2010
Leicester, UK
Hard to see on the photo, but have you got Prussik knots connecting your tarp to your Ridgeline?

I literally used the most basic of knots- like you'd use to tie your shoe! I really need to learn some more!

Lots of advice on the site for erecting a tarp. Many of us use the evenk and the taut tarp knot, if you get puddles of water in a sagging tarp it will seep through eventually. Get it rigid and you'll have an easier night of it in the rain.

Thanks. This is what confused me- the tarp was sagging a bit, but not enough to let the rain collect like a puddle anywhere. Yet it still seeped through in places? I'm a bit worried that it's not as waterproof as I'd hoped! Could I have made the rain come through in places by accidentally leaning against the inside of the tarp, similar to what can happen in a tent during rain?

Here try this see if it helps. There are alot more on you tube.

http://youtu.be/bjMmla9DSzo

Cheers Andy, that guy is pro! I definitely have some work to do!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
It could be that water was creeping down you tie off lines and into your shelter.
I always try to have "drip lines" where guys meet tarp - just dangling bits of cord - so that water coming down the guys follows gravity and runs down the drip line and not into the shelter....

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Prussiks will let you tighten up your tarp on your ridge nicely. Reproofing a tarp isn't a big job if you have issues - my first step would be to apply some seam sealant to the seams. then get a hosepipe on it and see where it leaks.

NetFrog

Forager
Jul 17, 2011
Scotland
s'étonner;1122179 said:
I literally used the most basic of knots- like you'd use to tie your shoe! I really need to learn some more!

Nice little setup just need to make the water run off better and with some good rigeline knots you can make it all a little more taught. Like you I only knew the most basic of knots until a few weeks ago but now have about 15 under my belt with a few weeks practise. A good site to learn knots is here: http://www.animatedknots.com/ once you have the hang of a few you will find learning more is a doddle although it then takes practice to use them in "real world" situations as opposed to in front of the puter.

If you go to the scout knot section on the animated site and learn a few, the little animations they use are perfect, there is also a good video on here for setting up tarp knots.

I always found knots quite daunting and fiddly but after learning 2 or 3 they just got easier and easier :)

p.s. that knot you use to tie your shoes is more or less a reef knot so you have one named knot already : - D

p.p.s that salmon looks looooverly. *drools*

Last edited:

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Get out as much as you can , the more you do the more you learn, link up with others in your area, most will help you out and pass on information and give you loads of tips, ands its a great way to meet new freinds

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Looking at the photos, it looks like you haven't put up a ridge line to attach your tarp to it, it looks like you have just tied the ends of the tarp to a tree and one upright pole with guide lines.
Nice grub by the way.

s'étonner

Forager
Aug 19, 2010
Leicester, UK
It could be that water was creeping down you tie off lines and into your shelter.
I always try to have "drip lines" where guys meet tarp - just dangling bits of cord - so that water coming down the guys follows gravity and runs down the drip line and not into the shelter....

Thanks John, I've heard of doing this and it sounds like a good idea. I'm not sure if it was the main culprit in this case though, as the water was coming in from the sides and the roof of the tarp before it could have reached any guy lines.

Prussiks will let you tighten up your tarp on your ridge nicely. Reproofing a tarp isn't a big job if you have issues - my first step would be to apply some seam sealant to the seams. then get a hosepipe on it and see where it leaks.

What you want is a tube of clear silicon (the good stuff that gives off vinagar vapors). seal the seem right down the center with it ,thats the one that leak on issue kit. run a big bead and spread it with a credit card type of thing with a little water (damp).

Cheers guys, I'm definitely going to try testing just how waterproof my tarp is and see if it can be improved.

Nice little setup just need to make the water run off better and with some good rigeline knots you can make it all a little more taught. Like you I only knew the most basic of knots until a few weeks ago but now have about 15 under my belt with a few weeks practise. A good site to learn knots is here: http://www.animatedknots.com/ once you have the hang of a few you will find learning more is a doddle although it then takes practice to use them in "real world" situations as opposed to in front of the puter.

If you go to the scout knot section on the animated site and learn a few, the little animations they use are perfect, there is also a good video on here for setting up tarp knots.

I always found knots quite daunting and fiddly but after learning 2 or 3 they just got easier and easier :)

p.s. that knot you use to tie your shoes is more or less a reef knot so you have one named knot already : - D

p.p.s that salmon looks looooverly. *drools*

That site is perfect! Thank you! :)

Nice... You've just reminded me that I need a night out soon- and salmons on the menu :)

atb, al.

aha! It was certainly very tasty! I just wish I'd brought something to go with it, or even just some butter to melt on it! Next time I want to try a whole fish.

Get out as much as you can , the more you do the more you learn, link up with others in your area, most will help you out and pass on information and give you loads of tips, ands its a great way to meet new freinds

Cheers mate, I do need to find more people who enjoy camping, as few of my friends are as interested as me.

A friend and I plan to go to Sweden wild camping next year, and I also have plans for a few nights in Wales soon, so I need to improve my skills before hand.

Looking at the photos, it looks like you haven't put up a ridge line to attach your tarp to it, it looks like you have just tied the ends of the tarp to a tree and one upright pole with guide lines.
Nice grub by the way.

Hi Hugo, I did in fact use a ridgeline (it's not very clear in the photos), but I was unable to reduce the slack enough to stop my tarp sagging. I think this was because of the type of knots that I used.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
s'étonner;1122411 said:
Thanks John, I've heard of doing this and it sounds like a good idea. I'm not sure if it was the main culprit in this case though, as the water was coming in from the sides and the roof of the tarp before it could have reached any guy lines.

Cheers guys, I'm definitely going to try testing just how waterproof my tarp is and see if it can be improved.

That site is perfect! Thank you! :)

aha! It was certainly very tasty! I just wish I'd brought something to go with it, or even just some butter to melt on it! Next time I want to try a whole fish.

Cheers mate, I do need to find more people who enjoy camping, as few of my friends are as interested as me.

A friend and I plan to go to Sweden wild camping next year, and I also have plans for a few nights in Wales soon, so I need to improve my skills before hand.

Hi Hugo, I did in fact use a ridgeline (it's not very clear in the photos), but I was unable to reduce the slack enough to stop my tarp sagging. I think this was because of the type of knots that I used.

If you are over on the West near Cardigan give me a yell and I will try and meet you and teach you a few knots :)

s'étonner

Forager
Aug 19, 2010
Leicester, UK
If you are over on the West near Cardigan give me a yell and I will try and meet you and teach you a few knots :)

Thanks mate, I will do! :)

Ideally, I want to head somewhere with lots of forest rather than open peaks. I was told the Brecon Beacons is a good place to head. I might look for somewhere a bit more local though! Sherwood Forest perhaps!

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
if you go to sherwood forest give me a shout! I haven't been yet so I could tag along. I dont know what they are infact i only noticed them last night, but there is a HUGE woodland just to the side of the m1 at J22 (left hand side if your heading northbound) they might be worth a look?

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
There is a video on here by a german guy who shows all the knots for camp set up. This is where i learn all my knots from. I use the truckers hitch and evank knot to set up my ridgeline and then use prussik knots and caribiners to attach my tarp.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE