A nice ''romantic' place to camp

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

buckley

Nomad
Nov 8, 2006
United Kingdom
Hi all,

My girlfriend keeps on moaning about the amount of gear I keep buying, and that I don't spend enough time with her etc. Consequently, I have decided to take her camping for a few days, giving me the opportunity to play with my toys, whilst keeping her happy at the same time.

One problem (barring the weather!), where to go??? Any suggestions, I would really like to go somewhere lakeside that is not to cut off from civilisation, recently went to wasdale head, and I am afraid she wasn't too impressed when the tent flooded at 2am!

Do any of you know of any nice spots that may fit the bill? :confused:

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Hello
Just picked up your thread, ever thought of staying in a moutain bothy? There's a few in Wales, The Lakes and loads in Scotland. Quite a few are in the glens and are less then an hours walk in. Most have got a fire place and a sleeping platform, just take in some coal and whisky!
Check out www.mountainbothies.org.uk it dosn't tell you where they are but with some careful map interpritation you can often find them. :)

Reactions: Wayland

bilko

Settler
May 16, 2005
SE london
Don't mean to sound like a wet sqid here but it may be wise to make sure she wasn't talking about a night out ...

ON THE TOWN first. :lmao: ;)

Spikey DaPikey

Feb 8, 2006
North West, near the land of the Pies
Limaed said:
Hello
Just picked up your thread, ever thought of staying in a moutain bothy? There's a few in Wales, The Lakes and loads in Scotland. Quite a few are in the glens and are less then an hours walk in. Most have got a fire place and a sleeping platform, just take in some coal and whisky!
Check out www.mountainbothies.org.uk it dosn't tell you where they are but with some careful map interpritation you can often find them. :)

Great first post !!

Never heard of these before, but im intrested now !! Why not put up a few words about yourself in the intro bit ?

Welcome to BCUK :)

buckley

Nomad
Nov 8, 2006
United Kingdom
Limaed said:
Hello

Now that is a great idea, I spend alot of time in wales for work, never even thought of a mountain bothy! :You_Rock_

hanzo

Nomad
Feb 12, 2006
Hawaii
hanzosoutdoors.blogspot.com
Aloha Buckley8219,

How about camping in Hawaii? That's pretty romantic.

I just got back from a family camping trip today. We took the kids and met up with their friends (and parents too). We had a blast. Kids are pooped and asleep.

This was nothing really bushcrafty, just a family camping trip.

Hot dog battle.

This huge salmon filet (about 24 inches long) was half gone by the time my wife got there with the camera.

Night time fire.

Oh yeah, lake...the camp site is about a 5-10 minute walk to this lake.

There is a fair amount of wild life. Lots of birds, ducks, geese, chicken, mongoose, pigs. In fact, after we had all turned in, the pigs roamed freely throughout our campsite. They stayed clear of our tents but did run around a bit.

There is a diverse range of plant and insect life as well.

Good luck in finding your spot.

faff

Tenderfoot
Nov 10, 2006
south wales
Limaed said:
Hello

im a member of the MBA very nice places. i could help you finde a few bothies stayed in one thursday my girlfriend loves them.top idea for a romantic camp

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Id choose the Mull of Kintyre.

I have a friend who loves the plase, wild but not rugged like a lot of scotland, varied land of forests, moors, beaches and small lochs.

buckley

Nomad
Nov 8, 2006
United Kingdom
Cheers faff,

I'll pm you over the next couple of days, as I gather they are often difficult to find :) .

Hanzo

''This huge salmon filet (about 24 inches long) was half gone by the time my wife got there with the camera'', Great pictures, I had to have some fish for breeakfast after seeing that one, but I guess sardines on toast doesn't really compare! However, I am in the process of planning around the world trip, so you never know!

In fact I am meant to be going to Hawaii (of all places) with my professor in 2008 for some terrible academic convention, perhaps I shall just go AWOL with my backpack, and let the university pay for the flights :lmao: !

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Hi everyone
Thanks for the welcome. I hope you checked out the website its also worth chatting to your local climbing/mountaineering/hillwalking club. A lot of clubs have huts in the hills which you can use very cheaply and it helps keep the huts going.
Check in the back of Climber and Trail magazine which usually lists a lot of the clubs alternatively www.thebmc.co.uk lists all the clubs affiliated to it.
Its nice combining a bothy-ex with a bit of bushcraft my mates are sick of me hogging the fire lighting though! ;)

Bootstrap Bob

Jun 21, 2006
Oxfordshire
Buckley

Bearing in mind where you live you might want to look at this place.

http://www.eweleaze.co.uk/

I went there earlier this year with GF and had a great time, some great walks along the coast and they allow camp fires too. I suggest you book early though it can be rather popular.

Fluxus

Forager
Jan 23, 2004
heaven
I got a virus scan alert on opening that eweleaze farm site - trojan script tried to execute. be careful.
Flux

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE