A nice paddle on Ullswater

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
Very nice Rich and Steve! That is a beautiful place to paddle and you enjoyed calm conditions. The video of the Hercules is neat; thanks for sharing your trip with us.goodjob

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I used to stand on the various fells above the Lakes, watching people pottering about in open canoes (kayaks have never had the same appeal for me) and think, "I could go for that". I had the odd dabble with watercraft, while with the T.A. and later on, when instructing with the A.C.F. but never got to paddle an open canoe. Then one year(2008) I decided to hire a canoe on Derwentwater, from "Platty+" and that was it!

I'm onto my 7th boat now and have finally found one that suits me, and the sort of paddling I want to do. It's light enough, to be able to cartop etc, on my own if required. It's designed for open water/lakes/lochs. I can sail it, paddle it or pole it and it's lively and responsive, oh and it's not too badly affected by the wind.

Anyone thinking about an open canoe, could do a lot worse than hire one in the spring or summer, just to see how they get on. If you pay a little extra and get a couple of hours paddling instruction, then you'll find it's worth every penny and will make your paddling a real pleasure without the hassle of trying to figure out how to steer etc.

Seriously, if you've been thinking about it, go for it!

cheers

Steve

I know what I am missing have not paddled for about 10 years that was afor about 20 mins, other wise before that its been nearly twenty... used to be a BCU Kayak and Canoe Instructor.. then the family came along:(.. my father has always said he cant understand why I gave up... and thougt he would see me back on the water sooner.....

The devioce should be sorted next year so I thinks an Open may well be sitting on the Landy Roof..:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE